• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't make it through 1 minute of 3Dmark05 !?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rassler

Can't make it through 1 minute of 3Dmark05 !?!? ..... PLEASE HELP

I have had this system since this past summer, I am not an OCer really, so benchmarks are something I never really cared about. This is only the second attempt I have made at running 3dmark05, but the same thing happened both times. I only get about 30 seconds in, to where the guy with the super machine gun thing kills all the guys, then my FPS drop from like 15 to 0, and the test run stops like 15 seconds later. Why is that? Whats wrong?

My rig:
AMD athlon64 3000+
Epox 745 8kda3j motherboeard
1 Gig mushkin special 2-2-2 ***(I have a question about this)
ATI 9800 pro (shows up as XT but i never OCed it, gets like 375/325 i think)
Seagate 160gb SATA
Chaintech av-710 (shoud sound play during test run?)
XP home SP2
EDIT: I use the latest Catalyst drivers

****Notes: 1) I have my RAM sticks in slots 1 and 3, is that the right thing for me to do? B/c 3dmark says I have 1.0 Gigs of memory, but then in the details list slot 1 as 512 mem, slot 2 as 0 mem, and does not list a slot 3!
2) No sound is played during 3dmark05, should there be?
3)Do those numbers look right for my video card?

Thank you so much for any help that can be provided to me. This site has helped me many times before, and I hope it can again. -Greg

Last edited:
I tried puting my RAM in slots 1 and 2, it didnt help.
After the test failed, it said it failed because it was "Out of video memory".

What should I do? Someone please help.

I have the latest drivers for all my hardware, as far as I know.
Someone from Anadtech said to try Omega drivers, would that be a good idea?

Get the latest mobo drivers (unless you already have them) and try some older catalyst drivers like 4.12

I tried to attach photoes, I hope this helps.

EDIT: Well that didnt work, im getting really frustrated. Can anyone help me any further?

Last edited:
I tried omega drivers and catalyst 4.12 drivers, neither helped.
My mobo has the latest bios.

Can anyone else help me at all?

What could the fact that it is running out video memory mean?

I have the latest version of 05
I just downloaded the latest version of 03 and got a score of about 5500.
Is 5500 in 03 good? And why will 03 run, but not 05? THANKS -Greg

rassler said:
I have the latest version of 05
I just downloaded the latest version of 03 and got a score of about 5500.
Is 5500 in 03 good? And why will 03 run, but not 05? THANKS -Greg

5500 is about the norm for a 9800Pro. It's running '03 as it's less stressful than '05. Hmmm, what's your AGP Aperture set to in the BIOS?.

AGP Aperture Size (MB) = 128M
CPU = about 40 degrees C idle (is that ok?)

I have tried to OC my 9800 pro a little in the past, but encountered problems everytime and could not get it much above even stock speeds. It has only stock cooling on it, but my case as a whole has pretty good air flow. I always attributed it to me just not knowing a lot about OCing, could something be wrong with my 9800pro?

OK this really shouldn't make a difference as I have no problem running '05 with a 128Mb 9800Pro, but try increasing your AGP Aperture to 256 and then running the test again. Make sure also you do not have any form of AA or AF on when running the test (via the Control Panel).

Back