• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help building a new system!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sirgamesalot

Registered
Hey im building a new system mainly for work but also for a few games (cs 1.6 and CS source, thats it). I need some help with the specs.

Im basically trying to get a water cooled OC'ed system. I dont want to spend alot of money on it, but i want performance thru a decent OC.

I know the classic Intel OC is something like a p4 2.4C or E (or 2.8c/e) oced to 3.5/3.6+ Ghz, with the right mobo, cpu, ram and cooling.

My question is on a limited budget what would it cost for the following:
CPU
RAM (1gb min)
MOBO
SCSI HDD (36gb)
Video card (im thinking 9600XT because it OC'es good so i hear)
water cooling unit.

my budget is around $900 USD what can i get?

- Eddy

Why a SCSI HDD? SATA is just as fast, and 2x 80GBs in a RAID0 are easily the fastest performing drives I've ever had the privelege of owning(Even faster than my 1 raptor)

Plus, if you go Scsi, you more than likely either need A) A controller card, or B) A workstation mobo, which isn't going to OC you anywhere :(.

For watercooling, if you go for silence, get the Zalman Reserator. Its not as efficient as higher end air coolers, but it is quiet.

thanks for the post.

Yeah im more likely to go dual sata in raid. But for the cpu/ram/video what should i be getting? ?

- Eddy

Well, if you go with the right Intel rig, you can get a good overclock on air, thus saving a lot if you don't have to get the watercooling stuff. You can always go with watercooling later if you want.

The new Intel 6XX series socket LGA775 are overclocking very well... most are hitting 4+ gig with good air (like with a Thermalright XP-90 heatsink). With 2 MB of cache, these are good performers too. The 640 3.2 gig is about $278 or so. These will support 64-bit when the new Windows is released too.

Since AGP is dying, might as well get a PCI-E vid card. The X800 or 6800 series are the top end, but that will blow your budget out if you are not a hardcore gamer. So, the X700 or 6600 series would be a good for the budget and still play games decent.

Now you need to decide on DDR vs. DDR2 RAM. A nice mobo like the Abit AA8XE is a great overclocker if you don't mind moving up to DDR2. Get 2 matching sticks of 512 meg for dual channel performance.

That leaves harddrives. Definitely go with SATA. Pretty fast and not that expensive. There ya go, with a little shopping around, you should come in under budget. You could substitute the 630 3.0 CPU to save $50 or so.

There are cheaper AMD and Intel systems, but what I outlined will futureproof your rig very well and will handle those office apps/multitasking/occasional gaming just fine.

If you just want high MHz (sounds impressive) go with the Intel, but at $900.00 total budget it's not going to be a very good gamer because you won't have enough money going to the videocard. With the money you'd save on an AMD motherboard and CPU you could get a nicer videocard, and since most aircooled A64s beat most watercooled P4s you'd be able to save even more money. In fact I can beat most phasechanged P4s with an aircooled FX-55.

AMD offers superior value, not because they want to but because it's the only way they can compete with Intel who is much larger. AMD depends on those of us who are smart enough to recognise this superior value.

I'm sure you've heard all of this before. Bang for the buck dude!!! :)

sirgamesalot said:
Hey im building a new system mainly for work but also for a few games (cs 1.6 and CS source, thats it). I need some help with the specs.

This is what I read... "mainly for work, but also for a few games..." That screams Intel.

When Storm claims AMD beats most Intel systems, I noticed he didn't say in what apps or benchmarks. He also failed to offer proof. I admit the AMD is the better bang for the buck if you are building a gaming rig... in fact I can show you several recent threads where I have recommended AMD systems for gamers. But, this sounds like gaming is purely secondary. Intel still dominates in multitasking and video encoding. Intel has the most reliable and best chipsets in the world for everyday stability in office apps.

Back