• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fake Broken Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scotty20857

Does anybody know some way to make it seem like my Windows computer is not working properly, without doing any actual damage? Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. I wish I had a more specific way to ask this question but I don't think I do.

Mate,

You ought to explain your situation. Nobody would help you unless you tell us why this needs to be done. At first glance it sounds very wrong. :)

Well basically I need to convince my dad that it's broken so I can use Linux on it, because for no reason he won't let me try linux as long as this is working fine.

If you have a CD writer, you could always download a copy of Knoppix and be able to pretty muchmess around with Linux all you want without ever having to "break Windows". All you will have to do is insert the cd and reboot. you will have linux loaded and running within a few minutes. when done with Linux, just remove the cd and reboot. back to windows! Its a cool way to try Linux without having to lose Windows.

Yeah knoppix is something special, amazing that they can fit a whole OS on one CD-ROM. I would highly reccomend it for your uses.

ghettocomp said:
If you have a CD writer, you could always download a copy of Knoppix and be able to pretty muchmess around with Linux all you want without ever having to "break Windows". All you will have to do is insert the cd and reboot. you will have linux loaded and running within a few minutes. when done with Linux, just remove the cd and reboot. back to windows! Its a cool way to try Linux without having to lose Windows.

You had better be careful about leaving that cd in the drive! My mom completely flipped out when I left it in there. She thought someone was hacking the computer or there was a terrible virus on it.

Will knoppix change any bios or windows settings? Basically, I know zero about Linux. How safe is this?

jchsatx09 said:
Will knoppix change any bios or windows settings? Basically, I know zero about Linux. How safe is this?

No it will not change anything. You can even get it to save settings on a thumbdrive or on the harddrive:D

for a really compact option, try linux puppy. So small it fits on a 64mb flash drive, but it comes with pretty much all the software you need except for games, CAD, and 3d animation. A bonus to puppy is that if you have more than 128 megs of ram (who doesn't :D), it will load completely into RAM, and give you very fast performance. It is also a great linux for beginners.

It baffles me that they can get a OS with much more functionality than XP into 50 mb. :shrug:

wow they need to make this guys arms yellow ----------------------------------------^

i would say stick with windows until you can explain to your father why you want linux.
decieving him will lead to him trusting you much less if you get caught.

You could resize your Windows partition, then hide it, making a Linux partition and installing Linux on it. Also possibly you could just have a lot of fun on a little spyware gathering expedition. :D

Well you can have windows and linux installed on one hard drive and both working. I had windows and linux, windows start up normally everytime. if I wanted linux I just had to put floppy and it was boot into linux. Took about 5GB space for Linux but that was all.

only prob with dualbooting is that you could have a problem if you have a pailure of resizing the partition. and inoticed that if the drive is heavily fragmented it wont resize. does he know that you can dualboot so windows is there and in perfect working condition, where he or anyone else wont notice anytihng different other than a few gigs gone from the hard drive.

have you told him that you feel it could be a good learnign experience and familiarize you with the best server OS there is, helpen to widen the possible job market for you if you go into a tech field?

Back