• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

12v reading as 6v only, help please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juzam01

Hi there, im kinda new here and i have this problem...

I downloaded PC Wizard 2005 and on the Voltage and Temperature Tab, i saw that instead of reading 12V it only shows 6V... The very next morning i bought a new PSU an Enermax 460w and installed it. But to my surprise when i ran PC Wizard again, it still reads 6V. At first i thought it was a bug, but then i downloaded PC Wizard on my friend's PC and the reading says 12V on the 12V line.

Anyone had this problem before? Thanks in advance.

Here's my other PC Parts btw..

Pentium IV 3.0Ghz LGA 775
ECS 848P-A7 mobo
Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
2x Kingston 512mb ddr PC-3200
80g seagate barracuda IDE
Enermax 460w

If your +12V really was just +6V, the computer wouldn't run at all, and I found that HDs wouldn't spin if the voltage was around +11V or less.

SpeedFan said that my +12V alternated between 6V and 8V 1-2 times a second, but my multimeter read a steady +12.11V all the time. MBM5 was a bit better, reading +10.6xV. Some mobos require manual configuration of the monitoring software to work right.

Best bet is to get a multimeter and see for yourself what the voltages are. Let us know if you need any help in doing that. Software is almost never right (or even close) at monitoring voltages.

ok, i never heard what a multimeter is before? I would like to try this one.

the reason im doing this is because whenever i play games, i get restarts all the time, w/o any warning whatsoever. may be its my vidcard but i ran aquamark3 ten times in row and never had a problem...

Heh, this makes about a dozen times in a week I've seen anyone complain about PC Wizard "OMG it's says there's all sorts of stuff wrong!!!!11111" It's as bad as when Sandra first came out and had all the sensors screwed up on most boards, and the classic "Your BIOS is too old, upgrade it!!!!" that had so many n00bs get dead boards because they went and got ANY BIOS as long as it was newer because Sandra said they HAD to have a newer one.

DO NOT 100% TRUST THE OUTPUT OF RANDOM DIAGNOSTIC PROGRAMS

As others have said, your PC wouldn't run if the 12V was as low as 6V. It's quite possible also that if you have a newer board, the sensor chips are unsupported by current releases of any diagnostic program. You should check with the manufacturer of your board, to see if they have one that can read the sensor chips better. Often they put them on the driver CD, or you can download them from thier website.

As for restarts in games, try turning off sideband addressing in CMOS setup. It's probably under the advanced chipset options.

regards,

Road Warrior

Back