• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4c800 dlx goes up in flames!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

supergt99

i cant believe this. my p4c800 just went up in flames. i had my cpu clocked 4.2ghz(247fsb), i was running 286 fsb before with cpu lock free. i was getting it more and more stable by playing with bios settings. well i started dual prime95 and left the room. came back about hour later and my computer was off, and it would turn back on.

so i start looking for whats causing this. the mobo power led was on but it power up. i remove 1 piece at a time.

when i remove my cpu from the socket i pressed the power button to see if mobo would power up, and it did. the little black thingy in the cpu socket started zapping and flames were shooting out of it. thank god i took out my cpu before that got burned too. what could have caused this?

second question, how does the ABIT IC7-G MAXII ADVANCE compare to the p4c800?

supergt99 said:
i cant believe this. my p4c800 just went up in flames. i had my cpu clocked 4.2ghz(247fsb), i was running 286 fsb before with cpu lock free. i was getting it more and more stable by playing with bios settings. well i started dual prime95 and left the room. came back about hour later and my computer was off, and it would turn back on.

so i start looking for whats causing this. the mobo power led was on but it power up. i remove 1 piece at a time.

when i remove my cpu from the socket i pressed the power button to see if mobo would power up, and it did. the little black thingy in the cpu socket started zapping and flames were shooting out of it. thank god i took out my cpu before that got burned too. what could have caused this?

second question, how does the ABIT IC7-G MAXII ADVANCE compare to the p4c800?

Sorry to hear that. You're not the first to kill a board trying to prime using a Prescott. It's been established Prime and Prescott's don't play well together. That's why i always loop benchmarks to test stability.

As to the IC7-G, it is in my opinion that it is the best platform to build a Prescott s478 system. I've used several boards both on my systems and freinds, and i prefer the Abit board. I'm sure many would agree with me on that. Only way i would use the P4C800-E Dlx is if it was fully volt modded. Just my .02

thanks for the quick reply. im gonna go ahead and the abit mobo.

what benchmark program are you looping? id like to try something diff than prime.

supergt99 said:
thanks for the quick reply. im gonna go ahead and the abit mobo.

what benchmark program are you looping? id like to try something diff than prime.

I'll just loop 3DMark 2001SE, Super Pi 32mb is a good one for quick testing, 3DMark 03, Sandra Burn in, play a game for 2+ hours. Bassically i like to test it the way i'm going to use it. I can't think of any time in my computing days that i needed to calculate numbers for 24+ hours. But there have been plenty of times i needed 2+ hours of 3D stability :p

You'll be happy with the Abit, great s478 board, only downfall is if you need high vdimm, the board will need to be volt modded in that case. Droop is far less than that of an Asus though.

supergt99 said:
will the ocz ddr booster work in place of the vdimm mod?

It works, but it doesn't track well beyond like 3.1v I've never had much luck with Intel + voltage loving memory, that's on both Abit and Asus. Then again, i've never done a vdimm mod. If your memory needs 3.2+ to perform, think about going another route, or vmod.

My story is almost exactly like yours. I haven't striped down the CPU cooler yet but assumed that the processor was fried, it may still be good now that I have read your post but I've had three of these MB's so I went with the max II as well. And am using a 3.4 Prescott with it. In order to use the OCZ booster you need the VTT mod to keep it stable. It's a pain to adjust two pots instead of one but it's more stable in the end than the Vdimm mod. The cap mod and fet sinks seems to help keep the fets cooler. I couldn't get the Droop mod to work and abandoned it, droop not that bad anyway. I'm still building this system but so far I like it better than the ASUS.

yeap i thought my cpu was toast but its not. anyway max2 is on its way, this is my third asus board that i cooked. i also ordered ocz copper sinks and the extra caps. now im thinking of a mach2, id really like to hit 4.5ghz or higher.

The three 16v 1200uf caps can be harvisted from the dead P4C800. These are the exact Rubycon ZL series caps on the Abit board. The digikey ones are not. And the 6.3v 2200 on the IC7g are Rubycon MBZ ultra low esr. And the exact replacement can be found here. Ebay 6.3v 2200 low esr The digikey parts listed in the guide are Nichicon UPW0J222MPD6 and also are not the same. The Nichicon caps recomended may work but it is better to use the exact same caps. The Nichicon HN series is the closest cross and digikey don't carry them.

Back