• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding on dial up Q

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TalRW

I'm setting up my grandparents PC right now and they are gonna be on dial up so I'm setting them up with the quad click because I don't think they are gonne log on very much. My question is I just set ignoredeadlines=no to yes to enable the timeless WU's?

what do u want a quad click for they are only for dual xeons with HT u only need a single install or a dual if they have a pentium with HT as for the timeless workunits the easyest way is to and a -configonly flag to it then when you finish setting it up take it away.

I used the quad click because they are my grandparents and aren't gonna be connecting to the internet all that much. I have heard of people using quad clicks for computers in this situation because they use it to DL 4 WU's if they are gonna be offline for a long time (like my grandparents) so it just sits there and folds, and if my grandparents happen to log in it will send all 4. The problem is just not enough connection to the internet. The reason I also want them to be timeless is so if my grandparents don't log on enough (like maybe once a month) they won't be over the deadline.

Im no guru on this but i think if u select timeless workunits it gives u the option to queue them anyway. also how fast is your grandparents computer because if its something like 2ghz or more then you should be able to fold normal workunits because they have a deadline of like a month anyway.

it's a 2.8 GHz with HT. My concern though is not that it can't FINISH in time for the WU. I know if it DL's a WU it can fold it in time. My only concern is that after it finishes it's just gonna sit there around and idle because it can't get on the internet.

EDIT: Ok wedo's one-click isn't as friendly for this. But I did solve the probelm, I got the official service installer from stanford where it asks you all the info and it did ask me about DLing in batches and deadlineless WU's so I'm all good.

Last edited:
Well i think they will access the internet more than once a month wont they? U could always email them so they would have to use the internet, if not then just use a dual installer and que the timeless workunits

Back