• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have Athlon XP Mobile 2600 and want to upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kuonji

Registered
I'm running at 2.52ghz on an Athlon Mobile 2600+ right now with acceptable temps and I'm using two sticks (512 each) of Kreton PC-3500 with a Abit NFS-7 (NF-7S?) mobo and a Radeon 9800XT video card. I get 19,000 in 3dmark2001se and 6473 in 3dmark2003. I'm looking to upgrade some aspect of my system, but I'm not sure if I should go mobo/cpu or video card. I will only do one or the other because of budgetary reasons. I'd like to stay under $500. What would you guys suggest is the best course of action for me? Should I go for the cpu upgrade or the video card upgrade? This is a gaming machine only, by the way. I do nothing but game on it. Thanks for your time!

Personally, given those constraints, I'd upgrade the video card. It's the quickest way to achieve better gaming performance.

i agree. your gaming will only be as good as your video card. you probably wont even see a difference in gaming with a new mobo/cpu. so, now you can shop for the best video card, and game away

one thing to consider: if you buy an agp card now, you may have difficulty finding a faster motherboard/processor to upgrade to that still has agp in the future.

Look into saving some money and go Venice /w PCI-E.
Thats my suggestion
:) have fun.

Back