• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

64-bit Gentoo Goodness

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SatanSkin

I have parts for my new Athlon64 based box coming soon and, of course, I will definately be doing a Stage 1 of Gentoo on it!

Anybody using the 64-bit version of Gentoo? Are there any things I need to watch out for when I'm doing my install? And I do mean things related to 64-bit arch and the 64-bit release.

I've setup a couple Gentoo 64bit installs. Most eveything will work fine. The only big issue I had was with openoffice when the A64s first came out it wouldn't compile, that is fixed now. I don't know of any other issues besides that. You'll just need to set march=k8 or mcpu=k8 depending on your preferences :)

Edit: here is a great place to get some help with A64 and Gentoo :D- http://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum-f-46.html

Last edited:
This is a listing of all the options for i386 and x86-64 that you can use for optimization. if you scroll down you'll find althon 64's and the different -march= settings you can use. hope that helps.

SatanSkin said:
so what's the difference between the k8 and athlon64 then?
An athlon64 is a desktop variant of the K8. Opteron is a server variant. There's not a lot of difference between the two (a64 can have less cache, don't require registered ram and have fewer coherent hypertransport links enabled than the Opterons designed for SMP).

I have had a blast using Gentoo64. Just so you know if you want to goto any websites that use flash emerge mozilla-firefox-bin or opera. Also emerge openoffice-bin. Other then that everything has been smooth sailing so far.

You can't get flash plugin for the normal emerge of firefox? Why not?

And by the difference between those two, I meant what difference would it make in putting either one in the march flag? I saw that they were both and option for the 64-bit AMDs.

SatanSkin said:
You can't get flash plugin for the normal emerge of firefox? Why not?
If you emerge firefox, it builds a 64-bit version, which won't work with the 32-bit flash plugin. If you get the 32-bit binary firefox, it will.

And by the difference between those two, I meant what difference would it make in putting either one in the march flag? I saw that they were both and option for the 64-bit AMDs.
I think they should be fairly similar, I'm not sure what the difference is. I's go with -march=athlon64, since that's the more specific one for what you have.

SatanSkin said:
About the firefox thing, I saw something about running 32-bit programs in a chrooted 32-bit environment of Gentoo. Anyone know how to do this?
I don't know how to do this, but I think it's overkill. I believe you can just run the 32-bit version of firefox.

SatanSkin said:
About the firefox thing, I saw something about running 32-bit programs in a chrooted 32-bit environment of Gentoo. Anyone know how to do this?
Running firefox in a chrooted environment would only be useful if you were INCREDIBLY paranoid and woried that someone would be able to write "something" that could cause firefox to crash and execute some arbitrary code while it was at it (NOT very likely ;)).

Well, the 64-bit handbook for 2005.0 reccomends using k8. I think I remember it saying something about the athlon64 being more for the 754pin series. Either way, I went with k8 and it's working great. I'm using nptl and ldflags with reiserfs. Everything is running great so far!

I just can't get glxgears to run. It gives me an error about something like "can't get an RGB" on the display or something. I'll have to check here in a bit.

Now, I just need to get all my programs installed, sound working, try to get my MX1000 working completely (last 3 times at trying to get that working in linux failed horribly)!

Summation: 64-bit Gentoo is twice as sexy and great as Gentoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back