• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan positon on heater core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

robjen

I am redoing my heater core setup. I currently have a bonniville core with 2 120mm pull fans. In my new setup, I was going to put two more 120's on, but here is my question.

Should I go push-core-pull or stack the fanns and goo pull-pull-core

I would say go with push/pull. I know when I went from push or pull to push/pull I saw about a 1c imporvment. I had to ask myself was the extra noise worth it.

suck offers a little more heat transfer, like almost non-measurable amounts. And personally, I like the fact that the sharp part of my fan's spinning blades are facing the heatercore and not me....

So your saying that it isn't worth the extra fans. What I had planned was instead of running 2 at 7 to 12 volts, I was going to run 4 at 5 to 7 volts.

I am building a new cooling box so I want to make sure I get the best arrangement possible.

i am going to a w/c setup, i am going to have a dual heater core for 2 120mm fans, and they will be in the "suck" i.e. pull position, should i use a shroud for this? even though with or without shroud it will still be pulling air through the same surface area on the heater core, thanks!

I take it your setup is internal. If so, go with 4 fans in a push/pull shrouded setup.

...or, you could do something like I have. I have an external setup with a Comair Rotron Caravel (10" fan :p ) pulling through a dual heater core with a newegg.com box as a shroud. With the fan undervolted it is near silent, but still moves >150cfm I would say.

for my setup, i just got in the mail today from an auction i won off of eBay, 2 delta fans 120mm, and when at full blast the move 130CFM each, so ill probably prop them at half power, that'll more than enough i feal.

What I am doing is setting up a new external cooling box that will fit under my case.

I will post some pics when I am done, but this is what I have so far.

I took an old at case and mounted the core on the top of the case with shrouds and fans on each side. Then I laid it on its side and mounted the pump and resivor.
Then I cut off the excess space on the at case and remounted the bottom on the cut edge.
The top has fans, and the bottom is solid, as for the sides, I just used some blue filter material to keep the dust out, and actually it doen't look all that bad. at 35 cents a filter, they are cheap to replace too.

This whole system sits under my cpu case on its side. I don't have it completely put together, but like I said, Ill take some pics when I do.

Push/pull is slightly more effective than either push OR pull.

Pull (suck) is slightly better than push (blow).
Pulling air through the radiator has two advantages in my book:
fan blades inside and it reduces noise slightly.

Shrouds are perhaps the single most effective addition to ANY fan/radiator cooling system: they minimize the dead air space created by the fan hub(s) and effectively increase your cooling surface.

Shrouds should be used between any/every fan and the radiator as long as the space is available.
I personally have found that 1 shrouded fan pulling air through the radiator is better than 2 unshrouded fans in push/pull.
And it is quieter too.

Back