• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone else plan on purchasing this MOBO/CPU combo....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steveo989

Not officially involved with AAR
for folding? MOBO/CPU

I think it would work well without overclocking. 2400+ would crank out some half way decent PPD too, what do yall think?

You get what you pay for...

And if a mobo costs less than a decent steak at a nice restaurant...it's not worth getting.

That "onboard processor" really mean onboard. It's soldered onto the mobo. I had a PC-CHIPS mobo with an onboard VIA C3 a while ago. The boards have zero overclocking options, but they are reliable as long as you know that they come with the clear CMOS jumper SET. I returned three PC-CHIPS boards to newegg because I though they were broken, I hadn't known about the jumper being set. You have to move the jumper before the board will boot.

That board/cpu combo doesn't have onboard video... you'd have to spend money on a vid card, but if all it's doing is folding you could just get a cheapo card.

WTF, I'll just buy the 2200+ one it has onboard video. I already got one three months ago for folding and is running strong.
Just looked and it says onboard video and look at the picture, the cpu isn't soldered on. Look closely and you'll see a lever to get the cpu out. Is it reliable as long as I don't overclock it?

pcchips... buy it buy 10. just know there junk. have a bad name in the ind. there the closeist thing to a china back alley mainboard company as it gets in the ind. go out and try to find reviews on there stuff from any of the good review sites. only other board I can think of in there class is the tomato boards. they where junk also

you get what you pay for in this hobby

How's about the epox 754 board available in our classified for $45 (shipped) to a folder, then a 2800+ available for $103 shipped from a number of vendors. Single channel so one stick of ram (which you most likely have). With no QMDs available for A64 yet a 256 stick should work fine. A little more than you were looking to spend but a lot more computer.

Back