• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to copy XP from IDE to SATA RAID?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zuzzz

Premium Member
Im setting up a PC and I need to ask a couple questions. I am going to copy the exsisting install to the 2 new 250 gig drives that will be in SATA RAID 0. The old 60 gig drive has the OS on it. Can I use the CD that comes with the SATA drives to copy the old HD to the new RAID 0 set? I know I will have to do a repair install on XP afterwards to install the RAID drivers but the idea is to preserve the currnet install and basicly do a repair on XP. Will the drive utilities(Western digital) that allow you to copy an old drive to a new drive support doing this to a RAID array?

thanks in advance
Z

Yeah a proper disk imaging solution would be best to use like ghost. However i dont think you will be able to image straight onto a RAID 0 array. When you image with ghost you have to select the source & destination disk - but in this case there will be a pair of destination disks.....

Yes, exactly russ. I was hoping with some experience with this issue might reply with some tips as to make this as painless as possible. I need to save the install.

Z

Don't copy a live, running WindowsXP to another disk: pretty much all files which are important will be in use and not copyable. What you can do is booting from PEBuilder CD with a RAID driver installed and copy it then. After fixing the bootloader stuff, it might even work.
A proper reinstall is still a cleaner solution and much preferred imho

A Windows installation has the mentioned NETBIOS to DNS translation service running by default so it will work I guess to ask it the name and it will return the NETBIOS name. MS versions of ping and other network tools are linked against a library which does this. That is not standard for a TCPIP based network however any "standard" versions like from cygwin or Linux binaries won't be able to do that.

Back