• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HyperThreading is it possable???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thedude9804

Registered
ok i got this from 3dmark2005..just woundering if there is a way to enable it or unlock it?? :shrug:
any help in this manner would be great..
also if anyone has any exp with this processer.such as overclocking and whatever..i would love to hear about it..

Manufacturer Intel
Family Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.50GHz
Architecture 32-bit
Internal Clock 2.7 GHz (overclocked)
Internal Clock Maximum 4.0 GHz <---- is this the max speed i can overclock my processer?? or what?
External Clock 110.0 MHz (overclocked)
Socket Designation Socket 478
Upgrade ZIF Socket
HyperThreadingTechnology Available - Disabled
Capabilities MMX, CMov, RDTSC, SSE, SSE2, PAE
Version Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.50GHz
Caches
Level 1 20 KB
Level 2 512 KB

please help it would be cool if i can get HT on my computer as i heard it could help spped things up.. :)

Sorry, hyperthreading can't be enabled on that processor. Also, ignore the max clock statement, that means absolutely nothing in the real world. On the other hand, I've seen some of those 2.5 CPUs do 3+ gig.

All Northwood P4 have hyperthreading in 'em but it wasnt enabled untill Intel found it neccesary (on the 3.06B and the C series)

here

well so far i have my processer at 2.75ghz no problems yet..only have stock heatsink and fan..heres a few pix of my case..

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 48
thedude9804 said:
well if its there shouldnt there be a way to enable it??
just like you can with video cards and pipelines?...

Nope no way to do it. It's hardlocked. Only way to do it would be a cleanroom and an 130nm etching machine :D

could you patch some of the chips microcode to do it (hypothetically speaking) if you had all the chip specs/designs, or is it literally hardwired?

>HyperlogiK< said:
could you patch some of the chips microcode to do it (hypothetically speaking) if you had all the chip specs/designs, or is it literally hardwired?
its done from the CPU pins via software

Aw shucks I'd swap SLI, virtualisation and dual cores just to have my old pin/bridge moddable chips back, maybe even some slot cpus that we could solder extra circuits onto like my loverly old P2s

;););)

the older versions of HT made the CPU's slower in most everything...it was kind of eperimental...maybe a pin mod might work or a mod in the code...but idk

Duke

hkh said:
Even those the older chips had HT it was an older version and most likely had some issues so it may be broken.

No that was't the case.

The HTT on the 3.06 and the C series is the same (and therefor on the A and B series). On the early models, intel just didn't found it neccesary to enable it.

Prescott does have a newer form of HTT.

yeah, the old HT caused a performance drop in most single threaded apps, whereas the HT in the prescott (probably the only good thing about it) causes no or almost no drop.

Back