• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop won't power on, any ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CPUonNO2

So I bought a Toshiba Satellite 1405 off a friend for $150, with the warning that it had power up issues. I used it for about a week experiencing the sporadic power up issues first hand, which were usually solved by simply shutting it off and trying to power it up again. The past few days though, it seems to have taken a turn for the worse. No matter what I do, it will not power up. The power light will come on, the CPU heatsink heats up, but no life out of the drives, screen or fan. My initial thought was a power supply issue, but opening the case didn't reveal anything that could easily be identified as a power supply for me to troubleshoot. Does anyone have any ideas?

I currently work for a laptop repair shop and we see this problem quite often..

It ushually ends up being one of the circuts on the boards... id say its not the DC circut since there is some signs of power so probly more on the line of IC or somthing of that nature..

We do componet level repairs on such problems and they ushually end up being cheaper than replacing the logic board.

Id look for a electronics shop or a componet level repair shop and have them check the logic board.

I don't know about toshiba laps but I have a couple of old sony vaio's that had memory slots go bad. Not the memory, just the slot. I took out the second memory chip and was back in business.

Had a gateway that was having problems like this also, turned out to be the battery. I'd try removing the battery and seeing if it'll boot without it.

Back