• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sempron 3000+ Barton vs. XP-M 2600+ Barton

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Molester

This may be a quickly concluded thread, but...

I'm just checkin what's out there before i order an XP-M 2600+.

Now, I of course know the benefeits of the XP-M is the 1.45v 45w, but has anyone gotten ahold of one of these Sempron 3000+'s to see what they do?

Both have the 512k L2, the Sempron is rated with 333mhz fsb, and the XP-M is 266mhz fsb. Can this be the reason the Sempron is 1.65v 65w?

Even if the Sempron is locked, it's with the 12 multiplier, are you able to use lower multipliers or just the 12?

I've read on different sites that the Sempron steppings show, quoting, "This model number indicates relative software performance among AMD processors". What makes this true?

Anyone know anything more?

Or will you all be hoping I stick my neck out?

The mobile barton will be better. It is tested to do almsot the same speed as the sempron with 2/3 the power draw. The xp-m's have been clocking to 2600 pretty regularly, I'd imagine the sempron's are hard pressed to match that.

snvpa said:
The mobile barton will be better. It is tested to do almsot the same speed as the sempron with 2/3 the power draw. The xp-m's have been clocking to 2600 pretty regularly, I'd imagine the sempron's are hard pressed to match that.
I also say mobile barton, I love mine.

lower temperatures, higher overclocking, unlocked multiplier..... the XP-M wins out in every category....... do yourself a favor and get the mobile. With a good system you should be able to get 2.5-2.6 GHz with the mobile.

I have semporon at school that clocks to 2.4 at stock voltage....and with a crappy speeze cooler not mention a CRAP chaintec board...

Duke

well guys, thanx for the input, i already know how good the mobile's are, as i had a 2500+ xp-m 0343 mpmw that i fried in my nf7-s :(

i was wanting feedback on the sempron 3000+ just to see what the deal is w/ it, why amd is marketing sempron, and if there is anything better about the chips like extra copper or just a better proccess in making them that would give amd the reason to market them

Molester, there is nothing special about the Barton Sempron 3000+. It fits right between the Barton XP2600+ and Barton XP2800+. AMD could have just as easily called this core the Barton XP2700+. And the multiplier is locked up and down at 12. It should be a nice overclocker but why not get the better XP-M2600+!

Athlon XP is being retired and replaced by value Semprons. I guess AMD didn't want to dilute the name Athlon so chose a new name like Duron and Celeron.

And we all remember those old horror movies, "Beware The 'Ron!" :p

Barton Athlon XP2600+ 166MHz x 11.5 = 1.9GHz
Barton Sempron 3000+ 166MHz x 12.0 = 2.0GHz
Barton Athlon XP2800+ 166MHz x 12.5 = 2.1GHz

yeah, i'm going w/ the mobile 2600, no doubt, i'm just debating ordering a sempron 3000+ just to see what it does, 230x12 would be nice under my water :)

Quentin is correct, the sempron's (except the 3100+) are just new manufacture athlon xp's. They are named sempron because they can't have athlon xp become associated with value rather than performance chips.

Definately go with the mobile, mine runs at 2.7 easily on an Asus A7V880 w/ water.

I would say mobile 2500's and 2600's are basically GUARANTEED to get 2.5/2.6 on decent air .. NewEgg is shipping nice IDYHA 0502 2600's currently that do 2600 with ease at 1.8v ,,

Back