• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggested Motherboard for watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Just1nCase

Since my computer I use currently is completely outdated, I was planning to get a new motherboard and an AMD 64 or AMD Sempron CPU and get it watercooled. Just to let you know, I'm on a budget so I'm looking for affordability. Does it matter what motherboard I pick (for routing of the tubes, etc.)? Also, I'm new to watercooling so I was planning to get watercooling kit instead of getting individual pieces (such as Aquagate Mini R120 or any affordable Swiftech kit w/ "Radbox"). What's a good watercooling kit for beginners like me and for an Antec 3700AMB Case? Thank you.

-Justin :)

----
Current Specs:
AMD Athlon 1.0Ghz
ASUS A7V-133
512MB Mushkin PC133
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
SB Live! Value

Last edited:
1- get an a64, even the cheap ones are better than semprons (IMO)
2- most a64 motherboards you see will work fine with WC
3- if you want to get a kit, get one from swiftech

Adapt the watercooling to the motherboard, not the other way around. The motherboard is huge when it comes to overclocking. Get the best you can find there, then see what parts will work with it. Generally everything should be compatible.

johan851 said:
Adapt the watercooling to the motherboard, not the other way around. The motherboard is huge when it comes to overclocking. Get the best you can find there, then see what parts will work with it. Generally everything should be compatible.

Agreed.
Generally, any board with the 4 mounting holes should work.

Suma.

Suma said:
Agreed.
Generally, any board with the 4 mounting holes should work.

Suma.

Thanks for the reply... but why only four mounting holes on the motherboard should work?

Four mounting holes around the cpu socket. Not referring to the holes for mounting motherboard to case, in case that's what you are thinking.

Mustanley said:
Four mounting holes around the cpu socket. Not referring to the holes for mounting motherboard to case, in case that's what you are thinking.

Oh, alright. Now that clear things up. I thought he meant the mounting holes on the motherboard to the case. So, the more mounting holes the better? Does that affect the noise produced from the watercooling? Thanks.

Mounting holes for the waterblock doesn't matter - it should be standard in every case, and if you buy an A64 or Socket 775 waterblock, it should fit all A64's or all 775's. As far as mounting holes from the board to the case, those are all standard as well. ATX motherboards will fit ATX cases, BTX will fit BTX (not too many of those around) etc. No, mounting screws don't have a thing to do with pump vibration. :)

johan851 said:
Mounting holes for the waterblock doesn't matter - it should be standard in every case, and if you buy an A64 or Socket 775 waterblock, it should fit all A64's or all 775's. As far as mounting holes from the board to the case, those are all standard as well. ATX motherboards will fit ATX cases, BTX will fit BTX (not too many of those around) etc. No, mounting screws don't have a thing to do with pump vibration. :)

Oh! Alright, well, I guess I better start saving up so I can begin building my first watercooled computer..Thanks for the reply.

Back