• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for some advice on a watercooling project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dalchi Frusche

Hey all you watercooling geniuses,

I am in the planning phases for my next build and wanted to get your opinions on my proposed parts list. The only restriction I have is the radiators have to be less than 407mm tall and the motherboard must be a MSI Gaming edition. Let me know what you guys think and let me know if I'm missing any watercooling parts(except for res as I'm looking at making a custom one. Thank you for looking.

Main Components

MSI Z170A Gaming M5 ATX
Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB(2x16)
MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB R7850 Twin Frozr OC (I hope to add more than one card in the future)
CORSAIR AX 1200i
Corsair Force LX Series 256GB
Western Digital WD1003FZEX
Western Digital WD1003FZEX

Watercooling Components

XSPC RX360 Triple Fan Radiator V3
XSPC RX360 Triple Fan Radiator V3
XSPC 120mm Universal Radstand V2
XSPC 120mm Universal Radstand V2
EK-XTOP DDC 3.2 PWM - Acetal
EK-Supremacy EVO RED Edition
EK-FC7850
Koolance INS-FM18D Coolant Flow Meter with Display
Thermaltake Riing 12 Series High SPress 120mm Red x16
EK FC Bridge Dual Parallel 3-Slot CSQ - SLI Connection - Acetal*
XSPC LCD Temperature Display (Red) V2 + G1/4" Inline Sensor
EK-AF Fillport Black
Bitspower Deep Red T Fitting
Monsoon Chain Gun Compression Fittings x 16
10ft PrimoFlex Adv LRT Red
10ft PrimoFlex Adv LRT White
Akasa FC SIX Brushed Aluminum 6-Channel Version 2 - Black
Koolance Ball Valve
XSPC G1/4 Plug - Black Chrome

Last edited:
What case will you be housing all of your components?

As for the CPU, I'd go with the K version for overclocking potential and a higher clock.

If you're not going to be doing 2-way/3-way SLI on high end GPUs, that PSU is complete overkill. You could get away with a 650w/750w.

Your GPU is outdated, if you were to sell that old GPU and take the funds from the WB for it, you'd be able to grab a much newer and faster GPU with more Ram.

As for the watercooling components, can't say much till we are finalized on what you'll be cooling and in what said case.

For the pumps, just grab a Swiftech MCP50X.

For CPU WB, Swiftech XL or XSPC Raystorm.

Have a look at eloop B12, AP-53s or EK Vandars as your 120mm radiator fans. If on a tight budget, some Swiftech Helix 120s or Yate Loons.

Don't need a T-Fitting if you're going to be using the radiator as a fill, prime and bleed point. Just make sure to have a low point drain for easier maintenance.

What fluid and biocide are you looking to go with and make sure to add some angle fittings to smooth out your routing.

What case will you be housing all of your components?

I'm currently in the process of taking two old mid tower ATX cases and converting them into an ATX cube. There is plenty of room for the rads in push/pull, just as long as the rads aren't longer than 407mm

As for the CPU, I'd go with the K version for overclocking potential and a higher clock.

Thanks I'll have to look at this

If you're not going to be doing 2-way/3-way SLI on high end GPUs, that PSU is complete overkill. You could get away with a 650w/750w.

I plan in the future to double/triple the card I choose

Your GPU is outdated, if you were to sell that old GPU and take the funds from the WB for it, you'd be able to grab a much newer and faster GPU with more Ram.

The GPU business is the hardest decision of my build. I am hoping to pull a sponsor into the build, so I went with a lower card that still had a decent waterblock for it. I had to adjust the parts to accommodate my budget if all the sponsors don't come through

As for the watercooling components, can't say much till we are finalized on what you'll be cooling and in what said case.

For the pumps, just grab a Swiftech MCP50X.

I will have to look at this a little closer

For CPU WB, Swiftech XL or XSPC Raystorm.

The reason I chose that waterblock was more for aesthetics than anything

Have a look at eloop B12, AP-53s or EK Vandars as your 120mm radiator fans. If on a tight budget, some Swiftech Helix 120s or Yate Loons.

I will have to look through pricing vs performance for the EK and GTs. The TT Rings were the only red LED fans I liked. But I was wrestling with the idea of too many LED fans if all TT Rings.

Don't need a T-Fitting if you're going to be using the radiator as a fill, prime and bleed point. Just make sure to have a low point drain for easier maintenance.

The T-Fitting was actually my plan for a drain port with the use of a ball valve

What fluid and biocide are you looking to go with and make sure to add some angle fittings to smooth out your routing.

Fluid will be distilled of course. I was looking to use a killcoil exclusively.

Well a couple of things I see...

1. If you are overclocking, get the K series CPU.
2. You sure you need 32GB of ram? Most can use 8GB just fine...
2a. If you actually need it, I would go 4x8GB.. its cheaper than the ultra high density sticks.
3. The 7850 is an old card. No clue why you would get one new now... or add another down the road. Get something newer.
4. 1200W PSU? Also massive overkill. Save $150+ and get something more appropriate.

I would get the parts pinned down before you worry about the water cooling, particularly the radiators, so you know how much wattage need to dissipate.

Last edited:
Well a couple of things I see...

1. If you are overclocking, get the K series CPU.
Jack already touched this. I've been out of the hardware loop for a few years so this is helpful to know.
2. You sure you need 32GB of ram? Most can use 8GB just fine...
2a. If you actually need it, I would go 4x8GB.. its cheaper than the ultra high density sticks.
I don't think I will necessarily need it. When I was looking at the Z97 board I was looking at doing 16GB instead. I was just halving the max supported on the spec sheet for the board. Not the best rule of thumb, but figured it would be better in the long run for expandability.
3. The 7850 is an old card. No clue why you would get one new now... or add another down the road. Get something newer.
Jack also touched on this also. I was doing research into current waterblocks and cards that weren't too expensive to have better success with my search of sponsors.
4. 1200W PSU? Also massive overkill. Save $150+ and get something more appropriate.
Overkill yes, again something I hope to gain from Corsair as a sponsor. If I can't, I will bump down to a more budget manageable 850w
I would get the parts pinned down before you worry about the water cooling, particularly the radiators, so you know how much wattage need to dissipate.
The radiators I chose are the max cooling I could fit with my build. Again it falls under the expandability in the future. If I have the rad cooling in place then it will save money later if I add more GPU or other random cooling parts(RAM, MOFSET, just for kicks)

EarthDog! I knew it wouldn't take you long to show up on my thread :D Thanks for taking a minute to give your advice as I'm glad to have it.

Back