• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mini server build....need cpu advise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueswitch

I have an old dual pentium II 400mhz that I built with free parts, and I want a machine that I can use to experiment with windows 2000 server. Im looking at maybe just building a cheep micro ATX box...but I need to know what my best bet is for a processor. I thought Id never buy a budget chip but in this case that might be the best bet, and I keep reading people that are surprised at their Sempron performance. Anyway whats my best bet performance/price in an AMD solution....Sempron or Athlon XP?

....honestly 21 people have read this and no one has an opinion as to if a Sempron has a better price/performance ratio over a socket A Athlon XP for a non-gaming environment?

why not just use the p2 400 for the server? I used to run w2k server on a 400 Celeron and it was fine. It is not like you will have that great of a load.

on Socket A i find the Athlon XP just got renamed to Sempron

id properly use the dual P2 400mhz unless its getting that slow u need something better

Thanks for the input guys....I may just use the dual PII, only thing is that it's an extended ATX board friggin huge...and the mobo won't support the 120gig drive I just bought because it's too old. Im just seeing how much it would cost to build a cheepy mATX that will not suck alot of juice if I keep it on alot. Im still thinking about what to do, but I need to know how much it;s gonna cost me to replace the PII X2 if I go that route.

If you do decide to get an Athlon XP/Sempron sA, I'd suggest picking up a used XP. The sempron 2800+ is clocked like an XP2400+ I believe, or was it a 2200+? Anyway the model numbers don't stack up.

Yuriman said:
If you do decide to get an Athlon XP/Sempron sA, I'd suggest picking up a used XP. The sempron 2800+ is clocked like an XP2400+ I believe, or was it a 2200+? Anyway the model numbers don't stack up.

Right...although moving to a budget chip the lack of cache is what I really need to be looking for from what I understand...well used to be anyway.

Back