• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Something is wrong with my mobo... please help...........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenshiro

HI Guys, I'd already posted this on DFI-street. I still welcome a few suggestions from the good old trusty ocforums. This is what I posted. I'm wondering if anyone run into the same problems I have. Is my mobo bad??? The problem kicks in when I install the SMBUS driver. Please help me.

Hi, my components are as show in my sig. For some unknown reason, I start up my computer today, and it will freeze up during the Window's Logo startup screen. It can't even get into windows. Everything in the Bios is set to stock. I reformatted my harddrive and reinstalled windows. I then installed directx9.0C, everything was still fine. Now, I put in the driver disk that came with my mobo and installation of the mobo drivers began. The first driver that it started to install is the SMBUS driver. As soon as this portion was done, my computer freezes up. I tried rebooting my computer, and once again, it will freeze up during the windows logo startup screen. I tried installing my memory modules in different slots, situation remains unchange. I also tried installing windows with a different harddirve, but that didn't help. The only way I can get into windows, is booting in safe mode.

The only thing I can think of, and still have not try, is flashing my bios. FYI, when I reset my CMOS and restarted my computer, it will show CMOS CHECKSUM ERROR.

Please, I am out of ideas. Do I have a bad mobo here, or something else is broken? Please advice. Thanks.

failing that try taking out one stick of ram and running single channel - the new dfi boards have a habit of going bad on the memory slots

Often times a bios flash and a long CMOS clear is more than enough to address any and all issues. Also, don't forget to load optimized defaults at the appropriate times :)

deception``

Super Nade said:
Mate,

Uninstall the NV IDE SW Driver and the Audio Driver. Your problems will go away :)

That's interesting. I have some questions here. First, when I install the mobo chipset driver, it freezes up immdediately after installing thne SMBUS driver. I'm not sure that it even get the chance to install the NV IDE SW Driver. As for the audio driver, I am currently using the onboard sound. I will need that driver. If your opinion, do you really think it is a hardware problem? Because if it is a hardware problem, I will just request an RMA from DFI. Thanks.

deception`` said:
Often times a bios flash and a long CMOS clear is more than enough to address any and all issues. Also, don't forget to load optimized defaults at the appropriate times :)

deception``

That will be my first thing to do tonight. Long CMOS reset, and then a bios flash. I will also follow what supernade has suggested.

Do you guys think it is a hardware problem?

the official 310 bios are the best for your GSkills. Then just use the bios settings from the stickies on "DFI Street" that say "Get it up and running"

Sorry for the delayed response :)

I have faced the same problem as you. Although my issue was with the NV IDE Driver I would recommend the following steps:-

1.Long BIOS flash as suggested by deception (follow RGone's sticky on DFI-Street). 3/10 is the best for TCCD. Don't use 3/10p yet. Someone also mentioned the 4-14-3 (I think).
2.Clock everything down to stock.
3.Attempt a fresh XP install.
4.Perform the necessary software/DX9c updates (slipstream SP2a).
5.Install the latest official NV chipset drivers without SM BUS or IDE Drivers.
6. Install your graphics drivers.

In my case, I had to update windows first because there were some Microsoft VM issues I faced which caused BSOD's. I am RMA'ing my board because I have a bad DIMM slot.

I really hope you can sort this out :beer:

S-N

Nade, thanks for the advice.

This is what I did, and I think i found the problem.

Flashed bios - problem still exist.

So, I spend lots of time and trouble shoot step by step. Format harddrive - install winxp - install directx9c.

Now, the chipset driver has for drivers. SMBUS, NVIDE SW, Ethernet controller, and Audio. After installation of directx9c, I install the audio driver. Reboot the computer - doesn't freeze. Then I install NV IDE SW driver. Reboot the computer - doesn't freeze. Install Ethernet controller driver. The momoent the message at the right bottom corner of windows pops the message "FOUND ETHERNET CONTROLLER", computer freezes up immediately.

Now, I reformated my computer, install windowsXP, follow by directX9c. Then I install SMBUS. Reboot computer - no freeze. Then I install ethernet controller and computer freezes up.

There is something wrong with my ethernet controller. Come to think of it, if you install all the drivers at the same time, it will first install the SMBUS driver, and follow by the ethernet controller driver. It always hangs there.

Now, I am sure this is a hardware problem.

So, how do I request an RMA from DFI????? Please advice.......... thanks.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/ go here to request an rma, Can you get everything running perfect w/o installing the ethernet driver. If so, you might think about disabling the NV ethernet (if thats the one giving you the problem) in the bios and just using the Marvell, which has the drivers on the cd. Unless you need both ethernet ports?

I tried both drivers. The one that originally came with the mobo, and the downloaded version 6.39. Both will hang up my computer immediately. I called the tech support and left a message. To my surprise, they called back within 30 mins. I explained the situation to them, and they said this is a known issue. They didn't mention anything about the ethernet driver in 6.39 being defective. He told me to flash the bios (which I already did), swap around the memory dimms (which I already did), and increase the voltage of the memory (which I also did). These steps didnt help at alll. The final thing he recommended is to go to DRAM CONFIGURATION, and disable CPC. I did that and I manage to get back into windows. Now, as soon as I start installing my ethernet controller driver, my computer hangs up again. Basially, he said if alll these steps didn't work, I will have to request and RMA.

So, I dismantle my how system and will send it to DFI for repair today.

Going by RGone's post, this seems to be a driver issue and not a hardware problem :confused:

RGone, what is DFi's policy in this regard? Any temporary fix for this issue or should we wait for NVidia to provide a fix?

Well, like I said before, I talked to their tech support and they said this is a known issue. It's not the first time they heard of this problem. Tech guy said usualy this problem is fixed by a bios flash, increase Vdimm voltage, and disable CPC. I did all that and the only difference is that I can get into windows. However, it will still freeze up when I try to install the ethernet driver. I will guess its some hardware problem because it was working fine perfectly for the last 3 months, and it just freezes up all of a sudden.

I requested an RMA and sent it back to DFI. I think they should receive it sometime this week.

UPDATE:

So, I got my mobo back from DFI. Assemble everything together, setup the bios, install windows, install directx9c, and the mobo drivers. Whalla.............. no hang.... it works.....

So, I rebooted my computer, and suddenly... my computer monitor died....... :bang head

Dammit... son of the beach........ stupid monitor has to die on me right now.

I just ordered a 19 inch Hyudai LCD panel. Should get it by thursday... hopefully.....

Back