• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu-z is reading my cache as 128mb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shuzzy

like the title says. cpu-z is reading my barton as 128mb l2 cache. so is sandra. anythijng to this?

Wow you have almost as much L2 as I have system ram! :D j/k

I hate to break the bad news to you, but you could have gotten a bad CPU from a fraudulent vendor.

They do make some 128kb cache CPU's. Mainly the initial Paris cores for socket 754 had 128kb. They were labeled as XP-M 2800's in notebooks.

This is not your XP-M probably if it is socket 462, however you could have gotten a disabled Thornton, an already disabled core.

Thornton is a Barton core with 256K of cache. It is possible they have some that "didn't quite make it" and had to disable even further to 128k.

This shouldn't be sold as an XP-M though. XP-M's SHOULD have 512k, and if you get one of those rare early Paris Socket 754 XP-M's, it would end up having only 128K. Remember though, those are only 754, and I think HP/Compaq might have been the only one to use them. They were K8 based architecture though.

If you can post pics of the chip and the CPU ID/ Sandra screenies, that would be great in helping us determine what is up with your CPU.

Are you sure you aren't reading L1? It should have 128K of L1.

cpu was bought from someone on redflagdeals.com and the guy provided a cpu-z screenie beforehand that showed 512kb l2 cache. i also bought his mobo, and now it says 128kb for me.

hmmm...

i will have to investigate.

there is absolutely no need of this.

wtf? ofcourse something has to be ****ed up. i feel like throwing my rig through the wall right now.

Your Barton was mechanicaly damaged during instalation. You damaged one of those resistors / capacitors on the package. It happens sometimes. Repairing it is possible, though hard.

Paris s754 XP & XP-M is not a fake chip. It exists for some OEMs.

Petr said:
Your Barton was mechanicaly damaged during instalation. You damaged one of those resistors / capacitors on the package. It happens sometimes. Repairing it is possible, though hard.

This is wrong to blame you for the CPU...because it was not you that messed the CPU up...

I had this same issue about a year or so ago...RMA the CPU...somehow the L2 cache was messed up and got by the QC department...

Do not mess with it anymore since you can not fix it...

Thread

Last edited:
SteveLord said:
why does everyone think that Centrino is a cpu? damn intel marketting...

Im confused. Where exactly did that come from? :confused:

EDIT: But, you are right, Centrino is their "mobile technology" including Intel's chipset with the wireless capabilities built in, and I beleive some other stuff. To put it simply:

A Centrino laptop has a Pentium M CPU

A laptop with a Pentium M CPU may or may NOT have Centrino "mobile technology"

A classic example of this is the IBM Thinkpad T40. They used a Banias Pentium M, but not the Centrino, they installed their own wireless adapters.

I beleive AMD is doing the same as Intel with their "Turion Mobile Technology."

Last edited:
Petr said:

That could be possible. Things break during un-installation, shipping, handling, and installation. I am still very curious about this CPU though. Would you happen to have any pictures of your CPU?

As for the Paris socket 754 XP-M's, you are correct. These rare 128k L2 cache 2800's were mostly found in HP and Compaq laptops. :)

That is unfortunate to hear glock19owner, it is surprising though. I guess such a thing as this is more common than I thought.

What is the code on the cpu? Post the whole thing and we'll be able to tell you exactly what chip you have, not neccisarily what chip you're suppose to have.

I had my 3500+ Venice up and running for a very short period today and CPU-Z was reading some strange stuff for me.

for example: the voltage reading on CPU-Z said something like 1.7 when I really had it set to like 1.45 in the BIOS.

also, the HTT number in CPU-Z wasnt no where near what it was set at in the BIOS.

is this something thats conflicting with the program itself and the Venice core or do I just have sh*tty luck with these A64 setups? :(

Run a Sandra Cache & Memory Benchmark. When your L2 cache fills up, your line on the graph will turn down sharply. This is the only way I know of to measure your cache size outside of ID apps.

Back