• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

64 bit and games.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kheb3350

Registered
SOrry if this has been asked before (couldn't find on search) - But what's going to be the deal when/if there's a solid move to 64bit, especially now that Windows XP- 64 has come out, and the pc games that you might already have? Are they going to re-release Rome Total War, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, etc. on 64bit, for example? Am I going to have to buy these all over again if I want to take advantage of 64bit? Are they going to release free upgrades? What's going to be the deal here?

Blackmage said:
32 bit aplications are compatible with 64 bit OS, but 64 bit Apps arnt compatible with 32bit os

In theory, but compatibility will be questionable at best for the first few months because of problems on the OS side. Some games just won't run period until windows releases an update.

One of the Splinter Cell games also won't work, I believe it was Chaos Theory. If any of aren't against to going to hardocp's website they had some gaming benchmarks using both x32 and x64 versions of xp pro on their front page. No huge gains, but only Splinter Cell didn't work, looks fairly promising as it goes.

If you have the money to invest then I don't really see a reason not to get it, unless you don't actually want to spend the money. No immidiate gains, but somethings going to come out that makes use of it.

Interesting article. Looks like we're have to wait for a true 64bit game, before we'll be able to see performance differences.

Back