• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R500 Specs Leaked via Xbox360

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sentential

Contributing Member
Custom ATI Graphics Processor
- 500 MNz
- 10 MB embedded DRAM
- 48-way parallel floating-point shader pipelines
- unified shader architecture

Memory
-512 MB GDDR3 RAM
- 700 MNz DDR

Finally we have some real numbers to play with. Most likely the 48 is the total count and not specifically the Pixel shader pipes. Very interesting to say the least. For a 90nm core 500mhz seems awefully low to me...

In addition this embedded dram is curious. Is that on-die cache perhaps? or some form of high speed off-die cache

I think its a safe guess to say that we can expect the R500 to be:

32 Pixel Pipelines 32X1 configuration
16 Vertex Pipelines 16X1 config
700 Mhz DDR3 (Samsung GC12)
512MB of Dram
10MB possible cache?

I'd agree with that. Xbox will get cheaper chips so that both companies maximize profits.

Actually, I don't think you can compare the two in the memory amounts; the Xbox has a standard embedded RAM system that makes it easier for the CPU and GPU to communicate large amounts of texture data.

On a normal PC I think that won't be in use. But that's just my speculations other than that I think you have some good guesses Sen.

Brian

Might be cooling and power issues. They need to somehow restrict the noise coming from the units and it needs to last for like four or five years. So reliability is more of a concern also. One way is to not make the chip run near or at its limit.

I think they have to run it a 500mhz core becuase thats gonna be a monster with that many pipes. I wonder what they are going to power it with and what they are going to cool it with.

Shuzzy said:
man, the r520 is going to be insane fast. overkill if you ask me. :shrug:

only to catch up with software. if softwares didn't have these high *** reqirements then hardware would be all that fast.

high ***? LOL all of todays games require cards made like 3 years ago! a 9600 non pro will run any of todays game in dx9 and a fx5600 or ti4200 in dx8!

Overclocker550

LOL all of todays games require cards made like 3 years ago! a 9600 non pro will run any of todays game in dx9 and a fx5600 or ti4200 in dx8!

...If you like to game at 800x600, at low to medium detail, with no eye candy enabled.

You're paying for resolution, and you're paying for detail/eye-candy when you purchase a moderately high end video card.

Sentential, do you have a link to the article/quote about this dude? Are these specs from a Microsoft XBOX360 press/specification release, or some other source? I'm intrigued :)

Ive seen people claim to run games in 800x600 high details or 1024x768 in medium details on a 9600se(overclocked but still) and a slow cpu such as a 3GHz p4. My own experience of running farcry at 1600x1200 medium details or 1024x768 high details before I owned an a64 and getting 30fps average on a ti4200 at ti4600+ clocks shows it very well. High end cards do little more than allow you to add in the gimmics such as antialising, uncompressed textures and "ultra super duper high" details which I couldnt tell unless you show me two screenshots side by side. If the card is too slow you do lose out but take the middle road and your games will look 95% as good as the top of the line card costing twice or more. Therefore my softmodded 9500np and oced to 9800p speeds is more than enough

Overclocker550 said:
Ive seen people claim to run games in 800x600 high details or 1024x768 in medium details on a 9600se(overclocked but still) and a slow cpu such as a 3GHz p4. My own experience of running farcry at 1600x1200 medium details or 1024x768 high details before I owned an a64 and getting 30fps average on a ti4200 at ti4600+ clocks shows it very well. High end cards do little more than allow you to add in the gimmics such as antialising, uncompressed textures and "ultra super duper high" details which I couldnt tell unless you show me two screenshots side by side. If the card is too slow you do lose out but take the middle road and your games will look 95% as good as the top of the line card costing twice or more. Therefore my softmodded 9500np and oced to 9800p speeds is more than enough

It's all a matter of oppinion and how much you notice details. To me, I can easily tell the difference between 8x AA and 16x AF, and 4x AA 8x AF even at 1600x1200, while there are some people that can't even tell if AA is on at 1280x768. What you consider 95% as good, someone else may consider 5% as good.

So when will the R520 be released (asking for best guesses, educated guess, speculation, whatever, just give me a time frame please)?

10mb ram on the card - wouldnt having more vid card ram and less system be better... faster speeds for rendering, but i guess with 3 3.2g cpu's they do all the work.

well then a 9700p would work for me while others must have no less than an x800xt. anyway with rapidly dropping prices on x800s and 6800s, r520 may be imminent

Overclocker550 said:
No way you where getting 30fps at 1600x1200 with a ti4200 in farcry. And if you cant tell the difference between a game with and without AA/AF, you are blind.

48 pipes. I think it will be cutdown initially. Unlike the computer world, game systems dont do updates every year so it needs to be futureproof so to speak. ATI can cut it down to 24 pipes and enable the other pipes as needed (Nvidia) to stay competitive or ahead.

Back