• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ok some strange issues getting this to work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
uhhh Ok well I decided I needed to get back into this now that I have my main rig up and running. So I went and downloaded the normal client and set it up.

Well it randomly dumped the work and config files onto the desktop..err wtf? So I scrapped that when it wouldnt run right, since as a single instance, choosing full processor power it only used 25% (cause I have dual HT procs I guess) So I go over to the one-click goodness and download the 4 service piece. Modify the files right then run te one-click. Not only did it not copy over the config files but only 3 services are running. I tried starting then stoping again now only 2 are running, for a total of 50% usage. This is both a great annoyance and a waste. Anyone got some help in fixing this? Or atleast making it configurable so it doesnt stick files in random places...

point two, it seems that its not that it is using the wrong config files, it seems that somehow it OVERWRITES them with a near empy file

[settings]
machineid=1

[http]
active=no

when it should look like this
[settings]
username=[OC]Pik4chu
team=32
asknet=no
machineid=1
local=362
bigpackets=no

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=no

[clienttype]
type=1

[core]
priority=0
cpuusage=100
disableassembly=no
checkpoint=15
ignoredeadlines=no

[power]
battery=no

and each one have a dif machide ID... ugh wtf did they do to this client, used to be painfuly simple to setup.. run the console, it asks you questions, it puts the stuff in THAT folder and you move on, or make another folder for a new ID... GAH

First you don't need but two instances on a duallie ATM. The new QMD work unit's are so demanding that folding more than two will produce fewer points per day rather than more. I've used the one click's pretty often with out problem, including the Quad one click. While folding two you'll only show 50% processor usage but that's only because Windows is lying to you, a quirk of how Windows treats HT. You're really using it all. If you set one instance to -advmethods/bigpackets=yes and one to bigpackets without the -advmethods flag you'll get max points with the available WUs.

What are logs in the clients saying? Most of the time it is getting some random Machine ID error. When you restart the service, make sure you stop the service, wait for at least 10 seconds, and then restart the service.

ChasR said:
First you don't need but two instances on a duallie ATM. The new QMD work unit's are so demanding that folding more than two will produce fewer points per day rather than more. I've used the one click's pretty often with out problem, including the Quad one click. While folding two you'll only show 50% processor usage but that's only because Windows is lying to you, a quirk of how Windows treats HT. You're really using it all. If you set one instance to -advmethods/bigpackets=yes and one to bigpackets without the -advmethods flag you'll get max points with the available WUs.
That hit me just a second ago while browsing newegg actually..

But the larger problem remains that for whatever reason the stupid client keeps overwritting the config file to say what I noted in my second post. no matter what I do, even if I start fresh by deleting the config file I check again and its messed up, or its on the desktop again. How could this possibly be doing that?

dark_15 said:
What are logs in the clients saying? Most of the time it is getting some random Machine ID error. When you restart the service, make sure you stop the service, wait for at least 10 seconds, and then restart the service.
Yes those errors are there.
And Ive done that whenever I restarted the service with no change. still has issues, things wont launch etc etc.

Did you uninstall the first installation completely prior to running the one click? I ask because the one click puts the registry entries in a different folder than the stanford console client install. It sounds like the original installation is borking the one click installation. You're going to have to delete the F@H registry entries from the Stanford client install to make it work. Or delete all the regisrty entries, F@H and FAH, and install the one click again. If you really want to install the Quad version, I still suggest you run only two instances as per my earlier post. Disconnect from the internet prior to installing the one click, install one click, run services.msc, stop the FAH services, set instance 2 and 4 to run manually, reconnect to the internet, start service 1 and 3. You can then turn on the other instances in the future when the WU mix changes. Registry entries should be found here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\

edit: there is no space between the c and e in services, I don't know why that happens.

Last edited:
ChasR said:
Did you uninstall the first installation completely prior to running the one click? I ask because the one click puts the registry entries in a different folder than the stanford console client install. It sounds like the original installation is borking the one click installation. You're going to have to delete the F@H registry entries from the Stanford client install to make it work. Or delete all the regisrty entries, F@H and FAH, and install the one click again. If you really want to install the Quad version, I still suggest you run only two instances as per my earlier post. Disconnect from the internet prior to installing the one click, install one click, run services.msc, stop the FAH services, set instance 2 and 4 to run manually, reconnect to the internet, start service 1 and 3. You can then turn on the other instances in the future when the WU mix changes. Registry entries should be found here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\

edit: there is no space between the c and e in services, I don't know why that happens.

Ive got a single instance running right now, whcih seems to be taking a considerable amount of time. After this WU finishes I'll try removing everything.

But can you think of why the fresh stanford 'instal' would dump its stuff to the desktop? That I can't figure out at all.

Back