• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flashing a X800XL to a X800XT PE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghost_recon88

Senior Jedi Master
Would this be a smart thing to do? I know the X800XL already has all 16 pipelines unlocked but I heard that with a better BIOS (i.e. the X800XT PE), I would have better overclocking potential. Is this true?

not smart at all

they both have way different cores and pcbs, and XL's have a super-hard time matching XTPE clocks even with super cooling and volt mods..

Yes, they are totally different cards with similar specs. Imagine it like socket 754 and 939. Very much the same, but just as incompatible as socket A and socket 478.

The X800Xl is based on the .11 micron R430

The X800 XT is based on the .13 micron Low-K R420

The X800XTPE is based on the .13 Micron Low-K R420 AGP or R423 PCI-E ( if I recall correctly )

The X850XT and X850XTPE is based on the .13 micron Low-K R480 .

While the X800XL uses a cheaper,smaller,somewhat more advanced process ( .11 micron ) than the others , it is not made with Low-K technology . Low-K technology allows higher speeds than the non-Low-K .11 X800Xl . However the X800Xl uses less silicon and is therefore cheaper and smaller, it is also cooler and less power hungry than the .13 Radeons .But unfortunately it cannot handle higher speeds or voltages like its Low-K bretheren and thus doesn't overclock as well as the others even though it is basically the same setup ,16 pipes etc . So flashing the bios in this case is not a good idea at all . Secondly the XL will often be paired with memory which cannot approach the speeds of the modules on its faster bretheren .Thirdly most XL cards don't need any additional power connector ( at stock) unlike the other X8xx series Radeons , but the lack of the extra power can affect the cards' overclockability since oc'ing increases the power requirements .

There is however one notable exception . The X800XL All In Wonder vcard is not really an XL at all but is actually a rebadged X800XT All In Wonder . This hidden beast of a card is often selling for less than a plain X800XT even though it is the same thing .............. plus the AIW additions . However that may change , ATI may at some point begin putting real X800XL cores onto that card , but for now it is a very very good buy .

Cowboy X said:
There is however one notable exception . The X800XL All In Wonder vcard is not really an XL at all but is actually a rebadged X800XT All In Wonder . This hidden beast of a card is often selling for less than a plain X800XT even though it is the same thing .............. plus the AIW additions . However that may change , ATI may at some point begin putting real X800XL cores onto that card , but for now it is a very very good buy .

Are you sure about that?

Yes pretty much , or at least that was the case until recently . Some people thought that it was using a X850XT core but this was apparently later shown to be a X800XT instead. Now please bear in mind that at anytime ATI or the boardpartners can begin to put X800Xl cores into those cards . I'd advise you to check on it at Rage3d.com and see if it still holds true .

Man - I guess you could really screw some peeps up with that - getting real benches with that AllinWonder card while the standard XL craps out at low clocks comparitively speaking...XS has a competetion going on - that could mess with lots of peoples minds - hating their cards...

You'd still have to overclock the X800XL AIW to get better performance . The card is as i said based on a X800XT but will come stock clocked as if it was a X800XL . But where it differentiates itself is that it should be able to reach X800XT to X800XTPE speeds when overclocked . Whereas the standard X800XL doesn't overclock very well .

And by the way one of the best buys would still be to get yourself a X800Pro Vivo PCI-E which I saw selling for as low as $254 , these as far as I know ( when I last checked ) flash to an X800XT or X800XTPE :D .

Cowboy X said:
And by the way one of the best buys would still be to get yourself a X800Pro Vivo PCI-E which I saw selling for as low as $254 , these as far as I know ( when I last checked ) flash to an X800XT or X800XTPE :D .

The PCI-E can't be flashed - only the AGP

The best place to check would be www.rage3d.com . I have however noted that it is very difficult to find an X800XL right now and in fact at www.monarchcomputer.com it is more expensive than the X800XT AIW AGP . IF it is AGP that you want this is probably the best deal which I stumbled across :

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...e=M&Product_Code=190667&Category_Code=ALL-ATI

So there we have a full fledged ATI made AIW X800XT AGP for $373.00 before a $50 mail in rebate . So with the rebate ........... $323.00 .

Back