• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Points vs WU's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes. QMD's (for P4's with SSE2 only right now) and BP's (for all CPU's). a QMD is worth 450 points if i'm not mistaken, and a BP is 600 points. If you can get BP's and chew through them, you'll get a lot of points fast. However, its best from what I've seen (and if i remember correctly) to get a combination of Tinkers and BP's if you are an AMD guy, and QMD's/Small Gromacs or Ambers if you are a Intel Guy.

well they use a flag called big packets, which allows you to get work units larger than normal, that range from 100-600points, but they take longer, and they use a large amount of memory, almost 250mb per client. You have to go into your client.cfg file, where you put your username in and change it so that bigpackets=yes.

Currently available big WUs are:

p1140, p1141, p1144, p1149, p1150 all worth 600 points

p13xx worth 254 to 346 points

p147x worth 364 points (great points on A64s and Pentium Ms)

Intel SSE2 only
p190x worth 125 points
p191x worth 450 points

I think it's kind of best to have a blend of AMD and Intel systems. 50/50 if you can achieve it. That way, regardless of what Stanford does you tend not to be too badly affected.

plus back in the days of old wu's were worth 15 and 15 pts. thats why you see some older members with tons and wu's but a lower point score than the newer members

Back