• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCM versus ASII w/ ThermoEngine HS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vassandra

Registered
Hi,

I need some help.

I just read the AMDMB article on cooling and saw something interesting regarding what interface compound to use.

Here is a quote :
"PCM should not be used for any processor that’s going to exceed about 50 watts. Even if you will be using a relatively low-power processor, I still advise against using PCM. The primary reason is that it’s a one-time material. In its native state, the material has poor conductivity. The first time you turn on your machine, the processor will heat up to the point that the PCM melts. As it melts, it forms to the voids in the interface. As it forms to the voids, its thickness and hence its thermal resistance decreases. This reduces the chip temperature to the point where the PCM again solidifies. From this point on, the PCM remains a solid and goes about its job of transferring heat from the die to the heat sink. Even after this transition, the thermal conductivity of PCM remains much worse than thermal grease or paste. "

I will most likely be receiving my ThermoSonic ThermoEngine V-60 4225 Turbo heatsink today and begin overclocking my Athlon 1400 as soon as I have read all beginner's notes on the frontpage. http://www.thermosonic.com.tw/cd/ow..._current_page=specs&in_sou_prod_id=8815593168

I've seen some notes on the internet as well as here, regarding the use of the Phase Change Material (PCM). All accounts I've seen have been against the use of PCM, much like the above article, except for when using a ThermoSonic ThermoEngine heatsink.

I found a couple of posts in this forum and other discussion boards that stated that PCM was a bad solution, unless a ThermoEngine was being used.

Can someone verify and clarify this? What makes this ThermoEngine so special? I'll be receiving it shortly. Can someone please tell me if I should use the pre-applied PCM or remove it and apply some Arctic Silver II or similar liquid?

/Vassandra

it is gernrally said that thermal pads are bad conductors and should be removed, but the thermo engine pad is very good and is good as or in some instances better then artic silver, unless you plan to swap heatsinks oftern, leave it

alright, i have the heatsink, i tried it first with the thermal pad, and the cpu melted the pad and it glued my hsf to my cpu core, and in turn killing my cpu, so take it off, and put plain ol' ASII on it, id hate for someone else to have to buy another cpu and hsf just like me

Thank you, Random Nonsense and the overclocker, for your input on the PCM.

I'm sure the PCM has it's advantages when it comes to this particular heatsink, but I think I will heed RangerJoe34's words and remove the PCM, replacing it with some Arctic Silver II.

I'll start overclocking later this week as soon as I receive my heatsink.

Thank you for the heads up RangerJoe34.

Random Nonsense said:
the thermoengine pad is excellent, the heatsink itself was supposed to have a heatpipe, but it doesnt, it still performs pretty well though.

Random you got a link to any of this heatpipe info?

el said:

Random you got a link to any of this heatpipe info?

It wasn't actually a heatpipe...it was just a hollow center. Didn't end up really affecting it's performance, though. There was a *HUGE* debate about it here...lemme see if I can dig up that thread for ya.

Alright here it is. :)

I think he may have deleted them to protect his personal interests....what with his business and all.

Back