• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED So I just de-lidded my 3770K...Results and pics inside!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
About the same results on my 3770K as I said in some other posts. About 12*C lower max temp and 50-100MHz higher clocks on air/water. On sub zero cooling no difference in max clocks at all.

lol. whenever my results are similar to woomack, I feel I did something right. :) :salute:

How do these IB deltaTs between lidded/delidded compare to SB? I haven't seen enough on SB delids to get a good feel as to what the deltaT between lidded/delidded runs for them.

Or another way of asking... is the TIM on IB turning out to be as bad as we thought compared to the cold flow on SBs?

How do these IB deltaTs between lidded/delidded compare to SB? I haven't seen enough on SB delids to get a good feel as to what the deltaT between lidded/delidded runs for them.

Or another way of asking... is the TIM on IB turning out to be as bad as we thought compared to the cold flow on SBs?

There was no reason to deLid SB chips, cause Intel used decent thermal material between the die and the lid. (can be better, but not worth the deLid). The problem with IB chips, is that Intel decided to use 'crappy' TIM on the die, (like.. terrible) which makes the thermal profile of the IB chips terrible b4 deLid

There was no reason to deLid SB chips, cause Intel used decent thermal material between the die and the lid. (can be better, but not worth the deLid). The problem with IB chips, is that Intel decided to use 'crappy' TIM on the die, (like.. terrible) which makes the thermal profile of the IB chips terrible b4 deLid

SB are soldered to the IHS, they don't have TIM, so it's almost impossible to remove the IHS on SB without damaging it, and the improvements will be near 0.

That answers my question then. Thought I'd heard people successfully delidding SBs but I probably hallucinated it.

OK I understand now. Serves me right for not reading fully into this. Yikes. I want to delid my IB now, but terrified to ruin a chip I paid almost $200 for...:-/

your avatar is the original old man from Monkey Island! (I think)

yeah, it is tricky biz to deLid. and I have read more than 1 report of people failing. also note that most reporting requiring IMMENSE tightening of the heatsink to get things working probably, as the IHS can be slightly convexed up when replaced.. (or so people think)

I say enjoy your chip now first. Don't delid. til the next gen of chips comes out, then you can delid it to close the gap. Or make that a good reason to buy something new if your chip doesn't survive. :cry:

OK I understand now. Serves me right for not reading fully into this. Yikes. I want to delid my IB now, but terrified to ruin a chip I paid almost $200 for...:-/

yeah, it is tricky biz to deLid. and I have read more than 1 report of people failing. also note that most reporting requiring IMMENSE tightening of the heatsink to get things working probably, as the IHS can be slightly convexed up when replaced.. (or so people think)
It's really not tricky at all. Just need a razor blade and a bit of patience. Just read all the info you can so you know exactly what to do at each step, but I promise it's not hard. Took me an hour, tops. :thup:

I know it's not necessary to use CLP or CLU, will antec formula 7 or arctic silver Ceramique suffice?

Also, is there really any issues with tightening say a corsair water cooler after delid?

I know it's not necessary to use CLP or CLU, will antec formula 7 or arctic silver Ceramique suffice?
Yep, anything commercial TIM should be better that Intel's. CLP or CLU should get you an extra degree or two more than ASC.

Also, is there really any issues with tightening say a corsair water cooler after delid?
I can't imagine why there would be any issues. Go for it!

is this worth the risk?
opinions are abundent in this thread... My take is this... No. Let me qualify that no now.

If you are temperature limited and not close to you voltage limit, sure. If you are close to the limit of voltage regardless of temps, no. That said are you going to notice the difference between the meager gains it MAY yield? Will you notice a dead chip or good with voiding the warranty?

I'm undecided whether to delid my 3770k. I want to overclock my cpu to at 5.2 ghz with a reasonable vcore (just for kicks).

I've seen two method of separating the cpu. Using a razor blade and putting the cpu in a vice and gently tapping it off.

Which method do you think will do the least damage to the cpu?

I'm undecided whether to delid my 3770k. I want to overclock my cpu to at 5.2 ghz with a reasonable vcore (just for kicks).

I've seen two method of separating the cpu. Using a razor blade and putting the cpu in a vice and gently tapping it off.
...wut? Where on earth did you see that? Sounds like a freakin' bad idea though...the razor method works just fine though. Just be patient, use a sharp blade, and have a steady hand. That putty/glue stuff they use to keep the IHS on is quite thick, like a hard rubber cement. It's hard to get into a situation where you slip and nick the die (though I've seen it happen...sometimes the chip is fine, sometimes not...).

...wut? Where on earth did you see that? Sounds like a freakin' bad idea though...the razor method works just fine though. Just be patient, use a sharp blade, and have a steady hand. That putty/glue stuff they use to keep the IHS on is quite thick, like a hard rubber cement. It's hard to get into a situation where you slip and nick the die (though I've seen it happen...sometimes the chip is fine, sometimes not...).

How to delid without a razorblade!

Its not that bad of an idea actually.

It actually works perfectly fine guys...read the thread at OCN for results.
More than 20 guys did it without a failure.
Much better than the razor blade method, for air overclockers.

Back