• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED So I just de-lidded my 3770K...Results and pics inside!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This. Is. Awesome! Totally doing this when my 3770k gets in. Quick question... was there any rhyme or reason to choosing the Liquid Ultra? I see it's 100% metal, but what is it? I've got some Arctic Silver already. Would that work or no? Does it need to be a liquid tmi or is paste fine?

unless you constantly change cpus, you'll only have to apply liquid ultra once on the die.

Use the hammer... Not the blade.

Heh.. I'll be using a straight razor blade like others have suggested. I've got some I tried that are no good. Perfect use for them.

Liquid Ultra drops temps around 20-30c when AS5 only drops 10c and after a few days temps start to go back up.

It can drop the temps that much.
Alternatively it can drop the temps a whopping 5°C.
It all depends on the mount Intel got the first time.

It can drop the temps that much.
Alternatively it can drop the temps a whopping 5°C.
It all depends on the mount Intel got the first time.

The IHS can vary that much? I mean... I imagine it would only take nanometers to make the change, but is it that common? Also, when the lid is put back on, does it just stick back on or does any special adhesive need to be re-applied? That was a question I had, and I don't recall reading it in the thread.

60% - 70% success rate with a razor blade first time, 100% with a hammer/vice. But if you're smart, careful, and don't use a kitchen knife, there's a 70% chance you'll get it right the first time :)

And the ihs just sits on the die, held down by the retention bracket on your board. No glue required, unless you count CLU/CLP

Trust us, we've seen tons of results at ocn...Liquid Ultra or Pro is the only way.
You'll never see only 5c drops, even with the best Intel stock ihs to die contact and tim application.
Also, the method to use is the vice and hammer/woodblock method, 100% foolproof.
Put the chip on a vice, hold the ihs from the tallest lip, proceed to hit the pcb with a woodblock till the ihs just pops.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1370209/delid-3570k-without-a-razor-blade
http://www.overclock.net/t/1376460/liquid-metal-versus-non-metal-compounds-update

Never, eh?
That's a big word there.
I strongly recommend that you get scared away, personally.

I kind of agree with mr nova there. I you're scared, don't do it. You'll **** something up if you aren't completely sure of what you're doing.

With the razor you can nick the die or cut the traces in the pcb. If you really want to do it and can't afford to lose your CPU get an old p4 or c2d that's not soldered and practice with both methods to figure out EXACTLY what works for you an what doesn't. Google it, there is a list of processors somewhere that aren't soldered

I feel capable enough to do it. I'm patient enough, and have steady enough hands. I'm essentially just poking through the glue with razor right? As long as I keep it on plane, and don't force it too hard I should be ok....... right guys? Right.... guys?

Have you watched any videos? Have you read any horror story posts? Can you buy a new one I you fail?

Edit: the guy who took a kitchen knife to do his felt capable enough too otherwise he wouldn't have tried... But he lost both his CPU AND MOBO

A nick in the PCB in the wrong place is all it takes to kill it.
Or a tiny chip off the die.

Back