• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

buffer underrun....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-N-

Ok it didn't used to do this but I'm burning onto a DVD+R with my plextor 8x dvdr drive. I am burning at 4x speed from hard drive to optical drive, both on different IDE cables.

The only major thing i did to my cpu was tune down the overclock a little because my room was a little too hot. So now when i scroll windows or basically do anything in windows, it skips a beat every second or so. kinda like the comp temporarily freezes for half a second, every second. Except the mp3's play fine :rolleyes:

nothing runnin but nero, aim, firefox. It never used to happen. windows task manager says my CPU usage is steady at ~60%. where's the other 40%!?! the priority for nero is "high" (set by default). "system idle process" is always at 90-97 while nero is always at 0-4. hmmm

uh.... great, it WAS set on PIO. I have no idea how the hell it got there.... :eh?:
wierd.

thanks bchur83!

ohhh, Saftey! i hardly ever see anything BUT pio mode, drives me nutz!
*dons bright orange vest, whistle, and blinky light*
Saftey first with windows!

ok... so i selected "ultra-dma if available" but it doesn't go back. It stays in PIO mode. what's goin on!?

do i have to reinstall the burner or somethin? better not.. :rolleyes:

That's exactly what you should do. Uninstall the IDE channel where you have your burner (I suppose you have it on the Secondary IDE channel - If you have it on the primary channel, don't uninstall it!).
Once uninstalled (the secondary IDE channel), just reboot your computer - your burner will be recognised, and will stay in UDMA mode.

START | RUN | REGEDIT

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEMS\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

0001 = Primary IDE Channel
0002 = Secondary IDE Channel

MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed = DWord = ffffffff
SlaveDeviceTimingModeAllowed = DWord = ffffffff

Back