• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Interesting water cooled temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ve6jhc

I got my new Abit KG7 Raid MB un and running today with a Tbird 1400 (not overclocked yet). I am running a Danger Den Maze 2 block with a shim to an external water cooling box. I use a heater core in one sealled half of the box with two 120 mm fans blowing in/out. My block is lapped to 1500 grit and mounted with Artic Silver. With a room temp of 25 C I am getting the following results -

As measured by the MB temp units -

CPU-30 idle/34 after Sandra 2001

MB - 28 idle and 30/31 after Sandra 2001

As measured by Digi Doc 5

Top of water block - 26

Video Card (GeForce 2 MX 400 51 idle/58 Sandra 2001
I also tried overclocking the video card from the standard 200 Mhz Core to 240 and upped the 350 Memory to 375 with no troubles and my video card temps increased to just under 59. I was getting almost 35 fps more under WinTune with the overclocked card.

Ram - 33 to 37 (seems to get hot and stay hot)

HD - 31-32 (not much change)

My big surprise is the hot video card....time to water cool it as well!! As a side note my system is very quiet now. Before with all the extra cooling fans that I had (I was running a pair of 120 mm 120 volt fans!!!) the noise level at my desk chair was 73 db and now I am unable to get a reading with the Radio Shack sound meter as it only records sounds over 50 db. Much more enjoyable to be in my computer room now!.

ve6jhc said:
I got my new Abit KG7 Raid MB un and running today with a Tbird 1400 (not overclocked yet). I am running a Danger Den Maze 2 block with a shim to an external water cooling box. I use a heater core in one sealled half of the box with two 120 mm fans blowing in/out. My block is lapped to 1500 grit and mounted with Artic Silver. With a room temp of 25 C I am getting the following results -

As measured by the MB temp units -

CPU-30 idle/34 after Sandra 2001

MB - 28 idle and 30/31 after Sandra 2001

As measured by Digi Doc 5

Top of water block - 26

Video Card (GeForce 2 MX 400 51 idle/58 Sandra 2001
I also tried overclocking the video card from the standard 200 Mhz Core to 240 and upped the 350 Memory to 375 with no troubles and my video card temps increased to just under 59. I was getting almost 35 fps more under WinTune with the overclocked card.

Ram - 33 to 37 (seems to get hot and stay hot)

HD - 31-32 (not much change)

My big surprise is the hot video card....time to water cool it as well!! As a side note my system is very quiet now. Before with all the extra cooling fans that I had (I was running a pair of 120 mm 120 volt fans!!!) the noise level at my desk chair was 73 db and now I am unable to get a reading with the Radio Shack sound meter as it only records sounds over 50 db. Much more enjoyable to be in my computer room now!.
Another solution for those dual 120,s would have been to put a rheostat on them to control their rpms. Also the ability to control them seperately would help. I am trying to build such a setup right now. I have two Orix 120/100s and need advice on the wiring. please message me if you get a chance about how you wired the fans.

The rehostates will not work with these fans. My brother the electronion explained it to me.....The fans draw a certain amount of power to run. If you reduce the volts to the fan then the amps the fans draw will rise. This will cause the circuit to overload and burn out. You can do it with an expensive fan control device that does not limit the current to the fan but limits the amount of time that the current flows to the fan. This type of control turns the fan on and off many times per min to get the correct fan rpm. When I switched to the 12 volt 120 mm fans my plan was to slow then down using 7-9 volts. I bought a standard dimmer push button/turn knob switch and my fans would not even turn. I checked power at the stwich...OK but nothing coimg out. Turns out the internal resistance of the switch was more than 12 volts so there was nothing reaching the fans. I was going to get a 12 volt rheostat from radio shack but they didn't have any stock so I wired them direct...I found them so quiet that I am not going to bother running them at any other speed.

Back