• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP-90 & XP-90c the same?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HousERaT

Senior Air Extraordinaire
My question for anyone that has both...... are the mounting brackets the same? I have an XP-90 right now and am thinking about getting the 90c. Will I have to change the bracket or will it use the same one that I have on my mb right now from my 90? I'm thinking this will give me a bit of an improvement over my 90 and if it's the same in mounting it won't be much trouble.

HousERaT said:
My question for anyone that has both...... are the mounting brackets the same? I have an XP-90 right now and am thinking about getting the 90c. Will I have to change the bracket or will it use the same one that I have on my mb right now from my 90? I'm thinking this will give me a bit of an improvement over my 90 and if it's the same in mounting it won't be much trouble.

All of the XP series use the same bracket... Actually I believe the SP does as well...

I don't have both but I do have theXP-120 and XP-90C and if I want to swap I don't have to switch brackets...

J-Mag said:
All of the XP series use the same bracket... Actually I believe the SP does as well...

I don't have both but I do have theXP-120 and XP-90C and if I want to swap I don't have to switch brackets...

Excellent. I was hoping that would be the case. Which do you like better the xp-120 or the xp-90c? Ever try them both on the same system?

Is it really worth getting the XP-90c over the XP-90 if you already own the XP-90? From the tests Ive seen it's only a 2-3 degree drop at most.

XP 90 c/w .13
XP 90c c/w .11

^^ according to the heatsink ratings

Depending on your system, that could mean very little difference or 3, 4 or 5 degrees.

yes I know... but I've pretty much maxed out my system with the current specs. If I'm gonna squeeze anything more out of it I might as well get (arguably) the best heatsink money can buy. I don't want to have to think that my aluminum xp-90 is robbing me of performance. At least if I get the copper beast I'll know I've done the best I can with air cooling. :D

Edit: I'll have the 90c sometime next week so I'll report back if my overclock gets any better. ;)

asg102 said:
What would you guys say the xp-90c or the xp-120?

out of those two, the xp90c by far; better performance with less noise...

so what are you gonna do with the xp90? i'm currently shopping around and am seriously considering getting one of these; at full speed with a panaflo they're cool slightly better than the zalman 7700cu (though slightly worse at half speed and much louder at both speeds)...

shard said:
any idea if thermalright will release a XP-120c? yeah i know it will be bigger and heavier, but it will be the l33t air cooling option of them all.

that would be sweet, but how much better would it cool? It would probably make at most a 5 degree difference.

shard said:
any idea if thermalright will release a XP-120c? yeah i know it will be bigger and heavier, but it will be the l33t air cooling option of them all.
I'de get worried about warping the motherboard. :p

and that is why it would include 2mm thick bracing posts to strap to the case :D

actualy i think it might cool a bit better then that, but at the same time, i am only going off on how much better the XP-90c is then the XP-90

shard said:

I asked them a while back about this let me find the email they sent me on it.

Here it is.

Hi,

We do not have plan to release a full copper XP-120 due to weight issue. Sorry.

Thank you for your support to Thermalright!

Chris Lee
Thermalright, Inc.

Electron Chaser said:
I asked them a while back about this let me find the email they sent me on it.

Here it is.

Hi,

We do not have plan to release a full copper XP-120 due to weight issue. Sorry.

Thank you for your support to Thermalright!

Chris Lee
Thermalright, Inc.

lol... that sweet.

Let's make a guess-timate on how much the XP-120c would weigh. ;)
Aluminum is 2.69 g/cm³
Copper is 8.93 g/cm³

8.93/2.69 = 3.32

XP-120 weighs 370g

370 x 3.32 = 1228.4g

XP-120c would wiegh somewhere in the area of 1228.4 grams, or 2.71 pounds. Yes, that is quite heavy. :D

ouch thats a fair bit x.x my volcano 12 is like 780g and i dont like the fact that it could be hurting my mobo.. 1228.4 is like 60-70% more weight :| screw that

Careface*

asg102 said:
What would you guys say the xp-90c or the xp-120?

every report or review I've seen shows the xp-90c as a superior cooling solution compared to the xp-120. Even with a quieter fan the xp-90c still comes out on top.

zer0nix said:
so what are you gonna do with the xp90? i'm currently shopping around and am seriously considering getting one of these; at full speed with a panaflo they're cool slightly better than the zalman 7700cu (though slightly worse at half speed and much louder at both speeds)...

Not sure yet..... usually my old parts find their way into my girlfriend's rig, but I built her a socket-a system so she can't use it. I've considered giving her my Venice and building her an A64 system but I haven't decided that yet either. I have a bunch of ram and stuff to sell so you might find me over in the "for sale" section soon.;)

Edit: The xp-90c is already in the mail so I should have it early next week.

Back