• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Debian problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NsOmNiA91130

Well, I went and isnstalled the base Debian system, and installed fluxbox. Then I realized htat I needed XFree, so I go ahead and install that. I rebooted, logged in, and typed 'startx'. Nothing. Is that the right command?

Argh, I think I'm just gonna do a knoppix install, or maybe Slackware...

you install X11 by "apt-get install x-window-system". It will automatically start the configuration program. If you want to change the config after that, you can always run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" again. Never run X -config

Ah, well being I have never used Debain before I was not too sure how configuring X works on it. Thanks for letting me know.

Also, startx will not magically work. You have to create a config file called .xinitrc in a user's home directory.

Ex of the file-

#startkde
/bin/fluxbox
#exec gnome-session
#/bin/icewm

You only need entries from the WM's or DE's you have installed, and whichever one of them is uncommented will be the one that is launched when that user runs startx.

startx will magically work, it just uses whatever is defined in /etc/alternatives/windowmanager. If there is no windowmanager at all installed (dunno if that's even possible, twm or somesuch should be included by default), then one will get an ugly grey screen with a "X" mousepointer. It's not pretty, it's not easy, but it is X11 without a doubt.

Back