• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BARTON 2500+; desktop to mobile how to (still not sure)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gofra

Hi people!

As an owner of a locked (desktop) BARTON 2500+, I decided to do some research and try to unlocking it. I did some reading and although I found some very usefull INFORMATION about doing it, I still aint sure (+ many of the sites people were redirecting me to were down). Since I dont want to mess it all up, I decided to ask you guys.

27035barton.jpg

This is my CPU - I appologise for a bad photo, but this is as close as I could get. So, I can see the bridges, and I can see the L5 sign. I understood that in order to make a mobile out of my locked one, I had to connect the second bridge from the right on L5 (says so in the link I gave you - read up). Now, all I can see is the L5 sign being a little further away from the bridges so I realy dont know what bridges does it belong to. I can also see that some bridges have allready been connected (I thinking of those dark brown dots on some of the bridges - some are clear though) or is this the way factory locked them?

Simply put: which bridge do I have to connect in order to make a mobile? You can use my photo and draw connection with a brush over it if it makes it easier.

Why do I want to do it?

well, I did discover, that my Barton wont go any further than 2350 MHz (Prime95 torture testing), so that wont change right? I mean, this is ALL I will profit from? (still, why the heck can mobiles - usualy - reach much higher frequencies if there's just the multiplier "thing" making them different?) I do have a feeling though, that my memory can go a little bit higher. So I just want to pull all there is from my PC. Therefore, setting the multiplier can keep my processor running stable at those 2350MHz, while my memory can operate a bit faster than it does.

I hope didnt write any stupidities - if so, dont hesitate to correct me!! - and I look forward to your answers.
Thank you in advance - take care!!

BTW: I know simmilar stuff has been answered to too many times, but I just could find the answer so try not to hate me ;)

The bridges right to the "L12" label are the L5s, but you're running an nforce2 motherboard, in which this mod doesn't work as you can't change multipliers on the fly on nF2 motherboards.

cant change it on the fly? i thought you could just change it in the BIOS or use jumpers/switches.. i have a nf2 board and you just change the multi by getting the switches in the right order o.0; isnt this the same for all boards?

Careface*

True, you can change the multiplier inside the BIOS, but after reboot, nothing changes - it's stuck on 11 (boot screen as well as CPUZ or Aida show the same --->11) So, what seems to be the problem here?

After you mod the chip into a mobile the only way to change multiplier is using software in windows, you won't be able to do it from to BIOS or physically using jumpers/dipswitches.
But the nF2 chipset doesn't support the feature that is needed for correct FID (multiplier) transition, thus when you try to change the multiplier in windows (on the fly) on an nF2 chipset, the computer locks up, and only a reset can bring it back to life.

Simply said: I should just leave it as it is then?

thnx!

gofra said:
Simply said: I should just leave it as it is then?

thnx!
An 11 multi with some really good ram could still get you at least 2.4 ghz. That is probably what is holding you to 2.35ghz with prime, but I would get memory that you could use in your next system as well. ( AT least pc3200, high quality stuff.). So looking at the bright side, a nice overclock can be had indeed( 2.35 is pretty good......). Good luck....Iron.

You could always use a ram divider to see if that what's limiting you OC.
Also its probably be cheaper to get a Mobile 2600+ anyway...

a locked 2500+ is best for a cheap 3200+ IMO. a mobile 2500+/2600+ is the best way to go for OCing. how many volts are you putting thro it? on mine i need 1.9v for 2.4GHz. i have to run @ 2.3GHz now tho b/c central air dosn't cool my upstairs very well.

<-my signature ;) (yup, quite some voltage there!)

Ok, I allready found out my memory can handle 215 (didnt go further yet). But if I run my CPU and RAM desynchronized, and decide to give my RAM few more MHz's (gotta check the divider), will this be an advantage or disadvantage to what I have right now (been said running CPU and memory 1:1 is the best)?

Thanx!

It really hurts performance having a divider set, but for testing purposes it doesn't matter.

Yeah, thought so...well, so far I'm quite happy with it - I'll go through some mods in about a month and see if I can pull out more. Until then, this'll do.

A big thanx to everyone!

Back