• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows kicks me out of games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yog

I just did a fresh install of windows about a week or so ago. Ever since I have done that whenever I launch a game and it changes the screen size, for some reason it kicks me out of the game and back into the desktop. Now this is very annoying with games that have several movies that play first, as it repeatedly kicks me out.

I have the system listed below with the exception of a new Leadtek 6600GT video card. I don't think this has anything to do with the problem as it was doing the same thing before.

Any ideas as to why it is doing this? More importantly how do I get it to stop?

Thanks for any help.

There are no error messages or anything? I'm sure you do but you have everything that the game might need like DirectX or OpenGL or whatever?

This is totally a windows thing. I have made no changes to any hardware. It does not show any error messages, although I'm pretty sure that there are some, why else would it kick me out.

Let's say I'm loading a game that has a small intro movie. When the intro movie starts it kicks me to the desktop, no error messages, then when I go back into the running game it takes me to the end of the intro and it plays. If there is another intro it kicks me out again when that intro starts, if there is a game menu it takes me there and works fine.

Now yesterday it did crash my computer when I started playing the game (this was after installing the new video card) and when I tried playing KOTOR it went into a loop, on its own, of the game, then windows, game, windows, too fast for me to be able to see anything or do anything.

What is going on here? Do I need to reinstall windows? What do I do to be able to play my games again?

Nope.

I did a clean install of windows and that seemed to fix that problem. Now my question is when I'm running lOTRBFME why does it crash my computer, it always does this. I have a better video card why is it doing this to me?

Try updating your drivers and search online for patches/updates for that game. Also check game for its system requirments. You might find something incompatable on your own machine.

[Edit]

Funny, I just now started feeling the game exit symptoms like you were. Time for another fresh install I guess. (of linux that is... hehe)

Are you running F@H on it ? I find that F@H Minimizes ALL of my games constantly, i turned it off in the end.

Actually I am running F@H. I guess that was probably it. I tried running the game today and it runs fine as long as I turn off F@H first. Now why is it locking up on me?

I'm not familiar with that game but mabey something is just incompatable? Also I still say check for driver updates and game patches.

What refresh rate are you using>? I believe your problem is that the game by default wants to run at 60mhz, and if your using a 3rd party refresh forcer, this is what is probably causing the crashing to the desktop.

Here's what you do, (From Tweakguide BF2 Tips I realize this is not the game mentioned, but the problem happens with many games)

Loading Issues The reason for this is either incompatible hardware (make sure you meet all the minimum specs), or more usually the fact that you're not running at the default Windows XP refresh rate (60Hz). By default the game tries to launch at 800x600@60Hz initially, so your system must be able to run that same resolution and refresh rate, otherwise the game will abort. If you are using any refresh rate override program/method, disable it (e.g. if you're using Refresh Force, click the 'Restore Original Settings' button and apply). Once you've got the game running, you can then change the resolution to suit your taste in the in-game settings, and importantly you can select a higher refresh rate. Then you can reapply the refresh rate override and the game will launch without any problems.

Hope this info solves your problem :)

:cool:

im having the same problem with some of my games, most of them jsut minimize but when I try to play the BF2 demo, it just kicks me out and exits the game

Guys,

This could also be a hint of Windows corruption. This has happened to me quite recently, the game being Joint Ops. On my SATA HDD, I get kicked out (even at stock settings) but on my backup HDD with a fresh Windows install, everything is fine even when overclocked. So I'd say it is more of a Windowze issue than anything else.

Note that I recieve no error message. Just get booted out to the desktop.

If you are running F@H then you need to turn it off because it will minimize your game. And of course there is no error message because there is no error.

Last edited:
yog said:
I'm using the latest video card drivers and using a no CD patch

try it with out the no cd patch...?

i know sometime in Joint ops for me it would play the intro movie and when i hit ESC it kicked me back to desktop instead of giving me menu options.

Do you by chance over clock your vid card?

Back