• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is a syntax error?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bestmaxx

I get some sort of syntax error when i try and install my printer, and when i try to install vcard drivers... What is this

it means you fouled up and broke something, Stoppit! J/K :santa:

heh heh , joking aside, i honestly havnt seen that since windows 3.1 and W95...
usually it was a driver thing or an IRQ thing - to the best of my recollection.

have a look at device manager and see if youve got yellow's or reds.

in any event, i bet this will be your solution-

remove any drivers you may have installed, then remove the hardware - boot it once, shut it down. THEN:
install the drivers first. reboot, shutdown THEN pop in the hardware. see if that does the trick. its the old school way of installing stuff, ( drivers first, hardware after) and i figured it might be in order for an old school error message.

Without knowing which OS you're running or the exact error message, it's hard to say. If you get the error in IE (in addition to when trying to install drivers), I would suggest either a virus or malware. If the error is a Microsoft VB Script compilation error, then I would suggest trying to isolate it. Assuming you're running XP...

How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560

Last edited:
ok i went into device manager and i found these with yellow question mark things:
multimedia audio controller
multimedia audio controller
pci input device
SM bus controller
USB controller
and VGA controller

Yes. multimedia audio controller is listed twice..

So what should i try to do?

When i install my nvidia drivers for my geforce 6800 gt it says this:
1st. window says: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
2nd window says: Unable to open the self-extracting executable file. The file is locked or in use by another process. The installation will terminate.

I don't know if this matters, but i am getting the 71.89 drivers off of nvidia's website, and there is no previous installation of nvidia anything.. I just reformatted.

If you were directly connected to the internet during the install of XP, then it's possible you have a virus or other form of malware on your system.

I have completely reformatted

I have reformatted and tried installing the drivers first, and installing them in safe mode.AND NOTHING

A "Syntax Error" is a mistake in code, usually something misspelled. Used to get them while writing code 20 years ago... Also been that long since i seen one, dunno how your getting em.

usually something misspelled.. hmm..

The file is saved to my desktop, and it is saved in my documents..

my documents file is name ()Barry() inside those parinthesis it is actually alt+6+5 which is a spaid... So there aren't any paranthesis.. that may be not needed information.

When i open the one from my desktop, the first window frame title is:

C:\Documents and Settings\?BARRY?.BARRY\Desktop\71.89_win2kxp_en...

Maybe it does not understand the folder name if it uses exotic ascii so if you reinstall windows and call "My Documents" a name using standard ascii then the install program will understand it and not get confused.

Ok, best I can figure is that you haven't installed the drivers in the correct order.

multimedia audio controller (need to install the audiodriver for this device or disable onboard sound and install correct driver for your sound card)
multimedia audio controller (see above)
pci input device (this is most likely your midi/gameport, installing the correct driver should solve this)
SM bus controller (this is part of your chipset driver. Install chipset drivers and this should disapear)
USB controller (most likely you have a pre SP1 version of windows. Update to SP1/SP2 and this should correct itself)
and VGA controller ( this will most probably sort itself out when you solve all the other conflicts and install the correct driver)

Is there a way to rename my documents?

I think you may be right about it not understanding the club symbol..

wow, looks tough. something comes to mind about a program designed to wipe out previous installations of nvidia drivers. i cant really be sure but i do believe that "NVkiller" or something along those lines is the name of the program, and i think hardware/graphics sites may have copies for download and a more proper explanation of why the programs are needed and what they do.
my memory says old drivers tend to hang on for dear life and cause problems even after an uninstall, and therefore such a program is needed. i have never run into that problem myself though, so i can only suggest that might be a good starting point.
best of luck.

Back