• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tyan 9800pro (DEAD?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Borisw37

Yesterday i turned on my PC and 10 minutes later the screen goes blank. I was not playing any graphics intensive games nothing.
So i reboot and the screen is still blank. 15 seconds after reboot there is a audible alarm high and low pitch beeps continuosly altering every 1/2 a second or so (High-low-high-low, etc...)
I am pretty sure its coming from the video card. The manual for the mother board doesnt even list this type of error code.
I do not have the manual for the video card. The card is not OCed or anything.

Has anybody had this problem before? what could it be?

Please help.

I just double checked. It IS the video card beeping. There is a small black cylindrical speaker (piezo thingy) on the edge of the card.

I had the same problem. Except nothing beep'ed at me. Just sitting there idle with no post. I guess its dead, if you find a fix, PM me as my 9800pro is going to waste in a box.

Borisw37 said:
I just double checked. It IS the video card beeping. There is a small black cylindrical speaker (piezo thingy) on the edge of the card.

If it's a Tyan Tachyon, it's probably the video card anti-overheat protection being triggered. A heatsink on the video card may be loose.

Could you get into your BIOS menu if you start your PC from cold? This way you can check your video card is REALLY "dead" or it exercised some sort of over-heat protection.

I tried taking the card out, cleaning the contacts. Re-sitting the heatsink (VGA Silencer) with new thermal paste but nothing seems to work.
No i can't get into bios with the card installed because the monitor is blank.

chr0nicles said:
thats the first time i ever even heard of a video card beeping

Ever not plugged the power cable into a card that requires one... you'll get a beep... a beep that is ear piercing and causes you to cring (or atleast on my 6800 it did that) :p

That goes to my next question is the card getting adaquet power?

the adam said:
Ever not plugged the power cable into a card that requires one... you'll get a beep... a beep that is ear piercing and causes you to cring (or atleast on my 6800 it did that) :p

That goes to my next question is the card getting adaquet power?

The card is plugged in and geting adequet power (500 or 550W Enermax PSU i believe). The card has been working fine for 3 months.

I had the exact same problem as that before on my 9800pro-flashed-xt. I got that sound once in a while, also I got "power on video card isn't plugged in message" from times to times. For the longest time I couldn't figure out the problem, tried unplug and plug video card, checked power connection, reisntalled driver, reinstalled windows, downclock to default speed, but still couldnt figure out what the problem was.

Finally, for some reason, I switched PSU (forgot why), and the problem is solved! At least for me, the faulty PSU was the culprit for all those annoying beeps and blank screen.

Hope this helps.

actually this reminds me of when my 6800 stopped working and I think it started working for some reason or I reset the bios and that fixed it.

Back