• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IDE Wont Work with my SATA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jjv687

:shrug: :shrug:
I just got my 74 GB Raptor today, my first SATA drive ever, so I'm new to it all. Everything was working fine and I was tranfering files from my old IDE drive to my Raptor then.. Well I had a dry wall repair guy in my room and he was working behind my computer desk and I guess he might have bumped something but my computer froze. So I just turned it off and now when I turn it back on, the post screen just stops after it says "Detecting IDE Drives". If I unhook my 2 IDE drives my Raptor will boot fine. Theres options in the BIOS that I think are affecting this. IDE Prefetch, IDE DMA Transfer and SATA DMA transfer. What should those be set to? Any help will be appreciated..

Sounds to me like you lost one of your ide hard drives. Try to isolate the failure by booting with just the raptor and one or the other ide hard drives at a time, with the other one disconnected. See what happens.

Oh geez.. My 80 GB drive is detected but not my 120 GB Seagate.... :cry: How could this have happened? I think I got most of my data off it before it froze except for my installed games. I know there will be more stuff that I'll remember later tho. Maybe its the IDE cable.. I'll try an old flat on.... YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS DETECTED!! Geez my duct taped round IDE cables didnt last long.. Well everything seems to be working now.. phew.. computers = stress

jjv687 said:
Oh geez.. My 80 GB drive is detected but not my 120 GB Seagate.... :cry: How could this have happened? I think I got most of my data off it before it froze except for my installed games. I know there will be more stuff that I'll remember later tho. Maybe its the IDE cable.. I'll try an old flat on.... YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS DETECTED!! Geez my duct taped round IDE cables didnt last long.. Well everything seems to be working now.. phew.. computers = stress

duct taped round ide cables? :eh?:

Heh, I had some cheap, stiff, ugly, old round IDE cables so I cut off the rubber sleeving and duct tape them. They were real easy to work with and everything but then my friend told me that duct tape conducts electricity, soo it's probably not smart to have them taped to the cables. Now I have to use my ugly flat ones :(

Back