• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats better: Fan or Duct

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyreal

Yo watsup guys.
I'm going to buy a new antec TX1050B and as some of you may know the side of the case has two intake blowholes. The top one is just ontop of the cpu hsf and is a duct. the second is ontop of the videocard to cool it down and is a 80mm fan i think.

What would be better. Sticking with the duct to allow the heatsink fan to draw cool air from outside. Or removing the duct and putting a 120mm fan there. I know for a fact that a 120 mm fan can be lined up with the grill and screw on there. What would be better for the cpu?

there is a rear exhaust fan. its a 120mm tricool fan that comes iwth the antec.

Peace.
Ty

Tyreal said:
Yo watsup guys.
I'm going to buy a new antec TX1050B and as some of you may know the side of the case has two intake blowholes. The top one is just ontop of the cpu hsf and is a duct. the second is ontop of the videocard to cool it down and is a 80mm fan i think.

What would be better. Sticking with the duct to allow the heatsink fan to draw cool air from outside. Or removing the duct and putting a 120mm fan there. I know for a fact that a 120 mm fan can be lined up with the grill and screw on there. What would be better for the cpu?

there is a rear exhaust fan. its a 120mm tricool fan that comes iwth the antec.

Peace.
Ty

The duct really only works well unless you extend the duct right to the CPU HSF.

So you can either make a new duct or extend the one you currently have for maximum benefit. Or just slap a nice 120mm fan on there and force feed the CPU fan.

well. I INTEND to buy a polo735 but as of now i have a coolermaster aero 7 lite. The one with the blower style fan instead of the standard fan. I'm wondering now if the fan is 120mm cause then i could stick a fan there and then put the duct OVER it.

I would say slap on a 80-120mm adapter on the lower blowhole and put a 120 there.
Benefit for the graphics, and set a larger fan with duct at the top blowhole.

//Christian

alright. sweet. thanks Sshadow.
Now i just need to find a store that sells tweakmonster bga ram sinks.
Mymemory is always getting too hot to the touch, but i never see any artifacts. I don't o/c my memory right now, just core.

Have you tried ocz's bga sinks? A friend of mine uses them on his x850xt and w/:ed core, he is happy with it

//Christian

Electron Chaser said:
The duct really only works well unless you extend the duct right to the CPU HSF.

So you can either make a new duct or extend the one you currently have for maximum benefit. Or just slap a nice 120mm fan on there and force feed the CPU fan.

The ducts I've made usually seem to work better (by 1-2 °C idle, and faster cool-down times after load) with a gap of about 1cm or so between the end of the duct and the CPU fan. (Passive duct to CPU fan, so the ducts may just not be able to supply all the air the fan wants.) The Intel 'thermally advantaged chassis' documents also seem to go along with using a slight gap. So it might not be a bad idea to try both ways so see what works best for your setup.

I have an Antec SLK3000B with a side air duct that feeds to my Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu. I think the duct works great, though I haven't tried putting a fan there instead so I can't comment on which would be better. All I know is that I am 100% satisfied with my current cooling, which is provided by two 120mm fans, one exhaust fan that came with the case, and one Panaflo intake fan, and the passive air duct.

Something to keep in mind regarding passive air ducts is that you really should have "negative case pressure", i.e. your exhaust fan(s) should be pushing more air than your intake fan(s). This way, more air is drawn into the case through other openings--primarily the passive air duct. With my Antec case, the front intake passage is a bit restrictive, which I believe is BY DESIGN. The reason is to try to keep negative case pressure and thus a steady flow of cool air through the passive side duct. If I put my hand over the side air duct grill, I can feel the "vacuum". I tested it out by releasing a small amount of cat hair near the opening and it was sucked right in! Hehe... the things we get excited about.

hahaha. Cool!
I think i'll try that with my dogs hair once i get hte case.
Can't wait till July! my b-day! YAY

Moving on.... I think it would be good if i bought an led 120mm coolermaster fan and stuck that as an exhaust. and then took the tricool that comes iwth the case, buy an 80mm to 120mm adapter, stick it to the vga fan slot, then stick the tricool there.
Sound good?

I think that is a little expensive, but on the otherhand, FrozenCPU's prices are all high no matter what you buy from them. Also, it is probably made of aluminum, and that helps bump the cost up.

Back