• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mart3770

Hello i have a network setup at home with the following layout

ADSL modem>>computer1>>hub>>computer2.

Both computers are using windows XP professional.
The other day when i was on computer2 it got disconnected, i went to computer1 and the screen had gone off and the power led was flashing on and off. I restarted computer1, and it connected to the internet fine, but the network card is not sending or recieveing any packets. I have had problems with the network before, but have managed to fix them eventually. I have tried installing the network exactly as i did before but it still does not allow computer2 to connect to the internet.

Any help will be greatly appreciated :rolleyes: .

Last edited:
It might just be the ICS needs to be reconfigured rather than a network problem. If ICS looks ok then try the following:-

Check you can ping computer 1 from computer 2 and vice versa. If it times out then double check the network config, then try different cables, then different NICs etc.

if u have a budget i would highly suggest a router - MS ICS is not very reiliable from my experiences -

are you using a crossover cable between computer 1 and 2 aswell set the NIC to "auto" speed.

Russ is right, for $30US you can buy a Netgear Router that will keep your connection open at all times. Thus, you will not have to "dial up" to your broadband connection. Furthermore, your computers will be on the same level architecturally so if one horks up, the other will not be affected.

The path would be:

modem >> Router >> Hub/Switch with both comp1 and comp2 plugged into the switch.

If this whole thing is not an option, you need to reconfig ICS and test your connections with the ping function, ipconfig, and check the wiring as suggested above.

with ICS - after a reboot i always had to re run the ICS wizard 3 or 4 times to et it working again, this is on XP and windows 2000

Back