• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a Meanwell Necessary?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lunar_Lamp

Ok, I am the first to admit that I am not the most physics minded person in the world, and therefore assimilation of fragmented information accross the forums has made this a little hard to work out.
Let us assume I am using a 226W pelt, now obviously a PSU that can output somewhere in the region of 300W is needed just to power the pelt. However, can I get, say, a 520W PSU to power all the rest of the components in the pc as well? Or is a second PSU needed due to different voltage requirements of the TEC from the mobo etc?

If one PSU is possible, then is it just a case of calculating the draw of all the components, and then bunging some headroom on top for inneficiency? Further, can a meanwell be used as the sole PSU? I haven't seen mention of this possibilty at all, and am thinking there must be some reason for it - again I presume different voltage outputs - however, I think I saw looking at the meanwell datasheets that it only has a single output. This could explain it, but surely that's moddable?

i'm not sure what you're asking. if you have a very strong atx psu there's no reason it can't power a 226w pelt (assuming the wires/connectors can handle the current).

meanwells are used because very few people have monster atx psus, it's cheaper to spend $60 on a meanwell. what do you mean by sole psu? to power a computer? if so no, you must have all the different rails.

Nope, not enough amps. For the 226w pelt, you want a 12v power supply that can handle 20amps. Keep looking on ebay. Deals pop up quite often.

Let us assume I am using a 226W pelt, now obviously a PSU that can output somewhere in the region of 300W is needed just to power the pelt.

If the PSU is rated for 300W, it most likely wont be able to power a 226W pelt:

300W PSU supplies: XXXwatts of 3.3v,YYYwatts of 5v, and ZZZwatts of 12v
XXX+YYY+ZZZ = 300w PSU

So naturally, the ZZZ, is going to be roughly 2/3rd of the 300watt total, sometimes less, sometimes more, but on average, you can't count on a 300w power supply giving you all 19amps you would need on the 12volt line.

One suggestion if you want to get a ATX powersupply to handle your comp and your pelt, get a 600+w psu w/ dual 12v rails. Ideally each of the rails will have 18+ amps and you can devote one of them solely to your pelt.

One problem w/ all of this. You'll need something to cool your pelt, and if its watercooling, that's more wattage you will need, unless you go w/ an A/C waterpump

It is not a good idea to run a pelt off the same 12v line that your computer is on for a couple of reasons. 1st most 226w pelts require 24v. This means if you use 12v you are dropping it down to a 110w pelt. This probably won't be enough to cool a cpu, but would be fine for a gpu. Second, it just puts too much stress on the 12v line. Pelts require alot of amps and it would be difficult to supply enough amps for both a peltier and a cpu. A nice switching power supply is the way to go. They often have 80-90% efficiency and you can get ones that supply 24v. I have a meanwell, but have also run a pelt on an old ATX- you just need to put some load on the 5v rail. I bought the meanwell because it will save me money in the long run since it is more efficient to run. So if you buy a power supply for 50 bucks on ebay that is subpar in comparison to a meanwell, you'll lose that cost in electricity in a couple of months. You can pick up a 300w meanwell at :
http://www.power-factor-1st.com/shop/enclosed-switching-power-supplies/g2-series/s-320.html
It's a hundred bucks and probably the best deal for a new one.
You can buy a 600w for 168
http://www.power-factor-1st.com/shop/enclosed-switching-power-supplies/g2-series/se-600.html

Back