• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD AltlonXP2400+ overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enrich

Hi guys. I am in need of some help here.
First My spec's:
MainBoard: KM4M-V
CPU: AMD AltlonXP2400+ (FSB set to 133)
VGA: Radeon 9600xt 128mb
Memory 1 pc2700 512mb & 1 pc3200 256mb

Problem:
I want to over clock. I have enought cooling. Anyways, I want to overclock my CPU. I want more speed out of it. So I tried to set my FSB to 166 but it just crashed. This is my first time overclocking my computer. I have read the guide on it. So I know whats what. Help me please : )

Thanks,
Enrich

The board supports 333 FSB, so you're ok there. Try raising the CPU voltage, and see if that helps. Try 1.7v, and see if that works, and if not, slowly increase it till you get to 1.8v.

Hi and welcome to the forums!
First thing to note is you are trying to run before you can walk. Start more incrementally when raising your FSB dont just jump to 166 from 133 go up in much smaller steps (assuming your bios allows you to do that).
I assume you have a Tbred 2400 so default is 133 x 15 and just jumping to 166 x 15 is 2.5Ghz which is more than most Tbreds can handle on air cooling! Once you hit instability when increasing FSB then look to increase vcore.

OC detective is on top of it as usual ... tou could also lower the multipler to 10 in the bios or via dipswitches on your mobo and shiit for the highest fsb you can hit. mt thornton hits 166 with only a 6% voltage increase for 2.241GHZ so yours should also.

Yes he could multi adjust if it were an unlocked Tbred i.e pre week 39 2003. However he would also have to mod the cpu to get the lower multis (below 13) as I dont think his mobo recognises the 8x bit of the multi.

Thanks guys sorry I didn't respond faster I was playing Gunz online it rules anyways back ontopic. I am going to slowly increase it now thanks alot. I'll get back to you soon maybe tommarow with more news on it.

Thanks,
Enrich

Problem.. :bang head

I don't see any of those options in my bios. I remember along time ago I did try to change it on my mobo but it crashed. What should I do?\

Thanks again
Enrich

If your mobo does not allow you to go up in increments, you could contact the manufacturer, to see if a newer bios ( that they may have) would allow you to do what you want. ( Check the manufacturer website. They may have a new bios for free.) But, if that does not work, all odds are that you need a new motherboard. If that is the case, you may be better off waiting, and going A64. Good luck....Iron.

Hi, enrich:

Your motherboard fitted with KM4M-V chipsets will only support either 133MHz or 166MHz FSB frequencies via the on-board HW links: SW1 and SW2. I have one myself and currently in use in my daughter's room. There is NO BIOS option to re-configure them or even change your CPU's voltages either.
Your best bet as I can see it, provided you wanted to re-use this MD, is to either change your CPU's multiplier if it isn't hardlocked, or upgrade to another CPU which allows you to do so to achieve higher CPU clock based on 166MHz MD's FSB clock. Try a Barton 3000+ which should work straight with 166MHz (i.e. 333Mbits double-rated) because I am NOT 100% sure that your MD could recognise the Mobile CPUs,which do allow you to change their multipliers, by default. Also making sure that your RAM is atleast DDR2700 which can support the 333Mbits double-rated data speed. :)

well, I tried and I failed. I think I might put back my old msi kt4v motherboard in there. It keeps looking up at 166mhz for jumpers.

Back