• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIX 2 Shroud

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whozyodaddy

Damnit, I bought two of these thinking it would work with my BIX 2. :bang head Well, it doesn't. So... i'm wondering do I need a shroud? What type of difference would I see? These are the only BIX 2 Shrouds I can find.

Just so you know, those are not shrouds, but simply eighth inch spacers. They really won't help you much considering they don't provide any amount of good distance between the radiator and the fans.

I've been on a quest recently to find a shroud for my upcoming build with a 120.2, but nobody has one, or even has the one that Thermochill makes themselves. I plan on just making my own out of plexi, or maybe even fiberglass.

^^ What WK Said. I saved like 6 frames from my Aluminum fan disaster to use in future projects. They are only 120x25, but could be stacked 2 deep.

I use the shroud because of noise. I believe the fan blades too close to the RAD created noise. I know my fans sounded much quieter after putting the shrouds on.

Bryan D.

JudgeDredd said:
So according to this, shrouds just don't make an effective difference? Why does everyone recommend shrouds then?

People mainly use them on heatercores because the BIX rads have a built in shroud so another one reduces the gains. However a heatercore has no integrated shroud so one is recommended and needed.

He tried to use them on a BIXII, apparently that didnt work out so well. I would have thought it was possible myself as well.

I'm certain you could fit them with minor modification. If you aren't going to return them, or can't, I saw cut them up a tiny bit and make them fit.

I used those Mini-Cool shrouds on my BIX2. You have to trim the flanges on both shrouds on the sides that face each other when mounted. You just have to trim and test, trim and test until they fit. I can't say there was a noticeable improvement in temps (maybe a degree or two), but there was definitely an improvement in noise. As was said above, without a shroud or at least a spacer, the fan blades being close to the rad fins creates a noticable buzz or hum.

SewerBeing said:
People mainly use them on heatercores because the BIX rads have a built in shroud so another one reduces the gains. However a heatercore has no integrated shroud so one is recommended and needed.

I wouldn't exactly call it a built in shroud, at least not on the BIX. The fans only stand off maybe a 1/4", and thats on the back side of the rad.

The BIP and BIM series have a deeper "shroud" on the back side, and it is very effective, the only problem though is it is on the back side, opposite of the barbs. Which genrally rules out using it as is, in a pull configuration, unless you are pulling air into the rad from inside the case and exuasting it out the case (is what I do with my BIM2, but it gets a fresh supply of air).

Back