• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Saving completed units?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglescouter

Frustrating Senior SETI Nut!
I've got a machine that has lost its internet connection for a while, and will likely take a reinstall of windows to get it back.

It has units cached and is crunching those units.

Can I pull those units off into a USB thumb drive, reinstall windows, then put them back on the machine for transmission?

eaglescouter said:
I've got a machine that has lost its internet connection for a while, and will likely take a reinstall of windows to get it back.

It has units cached and is crunching those units.

Can I pull those units off into a USB thumb drive, reinstall windows, then put them back on the machine for transmission?

Backup the entire BOINC directory.

After reinstalling windows, try just copying the BOINC dir back into place, and reinstalling BOINC, and telling it to do a repair install. It should pickup all the old info from the original install and carry on like nothing happened.

What kind of internet connection problem would you have that would require a reinstall of the OS? Is this broadband or dialup, and what OS?

XP-Pro-64

I have an IRQ conflict between the SATA drives and the LAN. This conflict causes the LAN to be non-functional.

Asus (mobo manufacturer) says that the fix is one of the following:

1. Reinstall windows. When you get the option to load Raid drivers using an F6 I should press F5 then F6, then select standard PC, insert the floppy disk containing the SATA drivers. The goal of this process is to disable the Windows Advanced Power Management Feature which locks the IRQ table.

2. Call Microsoft and have them walk me through a registry edit to manipulate the IRQ settings.

I tried #2 for giggles and after an hour on the phone I was told it would cost $35 to talk to a technician. I tried the Partner 24X7 mission critical support line, and after all the nonsensical questions I finally explained my problem and was told a technician would call me within 1 business day..... (so much for mission critical 24X7 support for microsoft partners)

So I wanted to install Raid drivers anyway, thus a reinstall of the OS is the logical approach.

Ah. I suppose so. Sometimes I miss the good ol days of computers when you could install a piece of hardware and not need drivers for it to work... Enjoy. :)

Back