• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just installed watercooling... HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whozyodaddy

I just installed the watercooling and my cpu idle temps are 65-70c!! My video card is artifacting! What the heck is wrong? I don't think it is a lose connection. I'm freaking out here..

BTW, for the GPU do you have to spread the Artic Silver 5 around? Or does it have a heat spreader - because I just put a dot in the center.

Last edited:
For better temps, you're going to want to have a thin layer of AS5 covering the entire die.

Before you go freaking, read the sticked thread about high temps. Also make sure you put your stuff back to default clocks (i.e. no overclocking) to ensure that's not the issue.

I have the Exact same setup as you besides the fans and res, my temps are a little high (41 idle 51 load) but not quit as high as yours. I reset my blocks and redid the AS5 but our temps should be alot lower than they are. the only thing I could think of is that its not a good combination to have.

Try remounting the blocks, the contact is probably bad. For AS5 just put a little dot in the center, thats what the instructions say to do.

May sound like dumb question, but you did leak test it and verify that the pump is working correctly and that there is good flow, right? For a CPU to overheat that fast, the heat is simply not being transferred from the CPU. If water is going through a properly mounted block, it won't overheat like that.

I have the same blocks, and my pump is not as good as your (hydor L35) and I get superb temperatures. Either you are not moving water for some reason, or your blocks aren't seated correctly. Make sure you do the AS5 correctly. IT IS NOT a thin film, like it use to be, this is incorrect. It's a dot about the size of a 1/2 to 3/4 grain of rice. They have nice size comparisons if you read the instructions.

Yes, I put a perfect dot on the cpu. I did leak test the system for a good 15 hours, working perfectly. The ONLY think I can think of is the blocks not mounted right, but I'm mounting them exactly as the instructions say. I will rescrew the 6002, remove as5 and re-apply it, and tighten it like a madman. BTW - only one of the 8 ram on the GPU is covered with a ramsink due to the last ramsink losing adhesive; that should not make a difference, right?

I did just that, re screwed and re applied - the computer instantly shut off. I think I fried my cpu :-(. I don't know what the problem is. My loop goes pump -> cpu -> gpu -> radiator -> reservoir -> pump. Man, I'm so frustrated.

By any chance does your mobo have a auto shutdown if not fan is on the CPU header. If so did you shut that feature off in the BIOS. The other day I flashed my BIOS booted up and it got to windows and restarted and kept doing it. At first I thoguht it was my OC( I had everything stock when I flashed) so I went back to stock and it still did it. Seeing as I have never air cooled this mobo I forgot about the auto shutdown feature. I went in to the BIOS turned it off and all was fine.

Wicked_Klown said:
By any chance does your mobo have a auto shutdown if not fan is on the CPU header. If so did you shut that feature off in the BIOS. The other day I flashed my BIOS booted up and it got to windows and restarted and kept doing it. At first I thoguht it was my OC( I had everything stock when I flashed) so I went back to stock and it still did it. Seeing as I have never air cooled this mobo I forgot about the auto shutdown feature. I went in to the BIOS turned it off and all was fine.

I don't know... I'm pretty sure it doesn't because the very first time I booted with the watercooling installed, it booted fine. I was able to access the bios once or twice with it installed. Now it loads the bios then shuts down. The cpu obviously isn't transfering heat to the block. I hope the CPU isn't dead.

I don't know what to do know. I feel stabbed. Man, I'm going to lose alot of sleep over this. No clue what I'll do in the morning. :shrug:

pretty sure p4s thermal sensors turn the processor off due to heat to make it almost impossible to kill them (even if you try booting without a heatsink). Are you sure your pump is turning on and water is moving? (i know you leak tested but maybe something happeend when you installed everything?) Have you blead the system?

jkresh said:
pretty sure p4s thermal sensors turn the processor off due to heat to make it almost impossible to kill them (even if you try booting without a heatsink). Are you sure your pump is turning on and water is moving? (i know you leak tested but maybe something happeend when you installed everything?) Have you blead the system?

Yes, I'm sure the pump is on and water is moving. I don't think there is any air in the system.

When your temps are up, touch bare metal on the PSU to ground yourself, then check to see if the blocks are hot to the touch. Of course, you don't want to let the CPU or GPU get too hot, so keep an eye on the temps while you are checking the blocks.

If the blocks are cool when your CPU and GPU temps are over 60C, then you have a large thermal barrier between the processors and the blocks. The heat is not getting to the blocks, hence something must be wrong with the mount.

If they are very warm, then the heat is getting to the blocks, but for some reason, the coolant isn't transferring the heat to your radiator. Likely causes are poor coolant flow and air or gunk insulating the block from the coolant.

Did you rotate the blocks to get the air out? Is there air elsewhere in the system? Is the tubing kinked? Is the pump on? Does it work? Did something get into the system and plug it up? I'm not sure if the head loss for running water backward through a jet impingement block would be enough to drive your GPU temps up as much as you're seeing, but the lack of jets would drastically affect the CPU temps.

If the radiator is hot, then you need to figure out why it's not transfering heat to the air. This seems unlikely to be your problem, though.

Otter said:
If the blocks are cool when your CPU and GPU temps are over 60C, then you have a large thermal barrier between the processors and the blocks. The heat is not getting to the blocks, hence something must be wrong with the mount.

Yep, I'm guessing this is the problem. The block is installed exactly as instructions. I don't even think I can have the system on for more than 10 seconds or else it will shut down. I will have to try later on.

Did you rotate the blocks to get the air out? Is there air elsewhere in the system? Is the tubing kinked? Is the pump on? Does it work? Did something get into the system and plug it up? I'm not sure if the head loss for running water backward through a jet impingement block would be enough to drive your GPU temps up as much as you're seeing, but the lack of jets would drastically affect the CPU temps.

Yep, I rotated the blocks. No air elsewhere, no kinked tubing. Pump is on - it works. Nothing got into the system.

try going back to air ,
then if it boots up you know the system is ok, and its just the way your setting up the watercooling
My Asus K8V SE Deluxe with a AMD 3200+ would do the same as yours untill i turned off the CPU fan in the bios
now it boot up fine.
As for the pump when i first stared watercooling a few years backk.
My wife once used my PC (An AMD XP1800+ ) and forgot to turn on the 110v pump, it worked fine but the CPU did get upto 65'c (30 was the normal) after 1/2hr.
Till I saw the switch was off it took about 1hr for the temps to come back to normal the water was quite warm .
soon after that i bought a Relay LOL

Good luck
Borgy

Did you remove the plastic film from the bottom of the block if it had one. I forgot to do this once and it took me a while to figure out what it was.

Sounds like you have no flow.

Even if you had a bad seatin on your blocks, if you were getting flow, you should see at worse, high temps, not a system shutdown.

Verify your pump is working (turn the little red knob in the back all the way to the right). Make sure your tubing isn't kinked, and that you do not have any blockages.

Back