• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Socket 939 mobo with AGP ? ? ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

Hello all

i ihave someon interested in getting a new system @ first they wanted intel and said they were going to game alot (radeon 9500 ithink) i told them go AMD

basically this person knows nothing abot CPU's and is going with the name they here

He said he plans to upgrade his video card soon, but wants to use this one so the mobo has to have AGP

i am rather out of the loop with amd and socket 939 mobo's

can anyone point me in the direction of one of the better / bets socet 939 mobo's with AGP ?

yeah i have talked to the guy more

right now his specs are

p4 2.2 / radeon 9200

and he plans to get better gaming with a CPU upgrade - but i seem to habe FINALLy go it through to him to just wait, and save cause he started talking to me saying he wanted

new cpu / mobo / case / ram

si i told him wait till u have enogh for a vid card as well and do it all @ once.

Well i was wondering this same question myself, though i have a Gainward 6800GT which cost me over 400 bucks when i got it a year back or somthing, and i just think a new mobo/a64 will be fine enough for now. andi want 939 for future dual core.

what do you think would be the best mobo for that right now? i already decided im gonna get a 3200 Venice A64.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130468

what do people think of that board? personally i wish i could go with Abit, but the only ones they have are without NForce3 chipsets, which i want.

any help?

The is that all of the NF3 AGP options are flawed. Nvidia has stopped improving the drivers (they have not released any since last year). The NF3 boards are quirky and have issues with the new CPU cores. For these reasoms I believe agp 939 is a dead end. The NF4 PCI-E boards are far better.

I was also thinking of just getting an Abit boad (i very much prefer the company) with one of their VIA chipsets. the one in specific is the Abit AV8-3rd Eye

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127186

couple questions i had about it though, if anyone knows. does it have locking AGP/PCI bus'? and also does it come with the bios for the latest cores (speficially Venice) or will i have to flash it?
thanks

I would be very interested in the best overclocking MB for a X2 4400+ with APG.
I need rendering power but have no need to change video cards. I too am interested in Abit, but have been away from AMD for a while now so not sure which one to go with.

Thanks
Sim

xnewnx said:
I was also thinking of just getting an Abit boad (i very much prefer the company) with one of their VIA chipsets. the one in specific is the Abit AV8-3rd Eye

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127186

couple questions i had about it though, if anyone knows. does it have locking AGP/PCI bus'? and also does it come with the bios for the latest cores (speficially Venice) or will i have to flash it?
thanks
The later Via's do have an AGP lock. The bios you get kind of depends on how old the stock is that they send you. I just built a new system with an NFI board bought from newegg. (A big supplier like newegg will probably not have old stock) The bios recognized the venice core but not the X2, which I had installed it. It was not a problem as the board booted and ran just fine. I then installed the latest bios and the X2 was recognized.

Alright thanks,
one last question, seeing as how i know next to nothing about VIA chipsets, is the VIA K8T800 Pro a later one with locking AGP bus?
and i havent flashed a bios or anything like that before, but im just i can do it, i was just wondering.

thanks

xnewnx said:
Alright thanks,
one last question, seeing as how i know next to nothing about VIA chipsets, is the VIA K8T800 Pro a later one with locking AGP bus?
and i havent flashed a bios or anything like that before, but im just i can do it, i was just wondering.

thanks
You should be fine with it. Yes, the agp/pci bus locks when it's set to 66 and it should come with a bios that will recognize a Venice core. You can use the Manufacturer's link at Newegg to go to their site and download the manual if you want to get more details.

rseven-

Do you recomend the MSI K8N Neo2 Plat as the best AGP overclocker for 939? Im just not sure how I am going to update the bios for X2.

Sim

simchippy said:
rseven-

Do you recomend the MSI K8N Neo2 Plat as the best AGP overclocker for 939? Im just not sure how I am going to update the bios for X2.

Sim
:welcome: to the Forum!
Hi simchippy, you are obviously new around here. I have been poor mouthing MSI and in particular the Neo2 ever since I bought it. Mine overclocks pretty well, but it's buggy and quirky. MSI can't seem to get their act together when it comes to updating the bios properly.
Sadly, all of the agp 939 boards are flawed in one way or another. I tell folks looking to make a major upgrase to go with the NF4 and to get a PCI-E video card. These boards just work nuch better with the new Venice cores. If an agp board is a must you may want to wait till DFI works out the bugs on it's new NF3 Ultra D board. Good luck and ask a lot of questions here at the forum. There are many knowledgable and helpful people here.

Most of the bugs have been squashed with the DFI NF3 Ultra-D. Some people are still reporting minor issues with 1T memory settings and some are having cold boot issues. In my opinion the cold boot is an RMA issue. So if your looking to get this board just go to DFI Street forum and read up on all the helpful tips and suggestions so you won't be dissapointed when you try to OC.

This is the same dilema I am wondering about.

I scooped up one of the X800XT PE ATI cards here in Canada. It is agp. I have sold my FX53 and next my X850XT and was planning to step down to a S754 3000 on a DFI UT NF3. Now I am thinking may be I should just get a good S939 AGP board and wait for a used X2 3800. I figure the setup with a X800XT PE should be more than adequate for me and cost will be pretty decent.

I would like to hear feedback on the best AGP board to support an X2 3800+ as thats my plan. Seems consensus is the DFI, I plan to continue using my 3700EB 2x512 kit

Mr.Guvernment said:
Hello all

i ihave someon interested in getting a new system @ first they wanted intel and said they were going to game alot (radeon 9500 ithink) i told them go AMD

basically this person knows nothing abot CPU's and is going with the name they here

He said he plans to upgrade his video card soon, but wants to use this one so the mobo has to have AGP

i am rather out of the loop with amd and socket 939 mobo's

can anyone point me in the direction of one of the better / bets socet 939 mobo's with AGP ?

whatever you buy, dont buy nf3/nf4 agp combined w/ PCIe. conflicts and AGP not fully powered.
The only good 939 AGP mobo's are w/ Uli chipset m1689 single or more expensive TGI Uli1695 that is still in the works(not out yet)
Chaintech S1689=$55 @mwave, and Gigabyte GA-K8U939 are both uli1689 and best in the market.
Anandtech has a review on uli1695: http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2489

ochungry said:
whatever you buy, dont buy nf3/nf4 agp combined w/ PCIe. conflicts and AGP not fully powered.
The only good 939 AGP mobo's are w/ Uli chipset m1689 single or more expensive TGI Uli1695 that is still in the works(not out yet)
Chaintech S1689=$55 @mwave, and Gigabyte GA-K8U939 are both uli1689 and best in the market.
Anandtech has a review on uli1695: http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2489
Yes, the ULI offerings are a welcome addition to the 939 agp market. The reviews look good, but I have seen much in the way of owner feedback, which to me is the best indicator of quality. Let's hope.

Back