• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800gt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andyl33t

im soon gnna get a BFG 6800 GT. Should i get the AGP version? Or should I get the PCI-E version and get a new mobo? I am neva gnna use SLI thought. Also what PSU should I get? Is an Antec TruePower 2.0 550W PSU good enough? also i will be upgrading my comp soon with a new Intel P4 640, a new mobo, some new ram. Will the PSU handle that?

Thanks

edit:
also i am gnna overclock it, would i need a betta cooler fan for it?

Thanks

Last edited:
It would be better to get PCI-E mobo and PCI-E vid card cause that would serve as a future upgrade. The PSU that you listed should be more then enough but I would suggest that you go with this one.

Also you will be able to OC with the stock heatsink but if you want better performance aftermarket HS would be a good choice. I would suggest that you get STATIS C5 or one of the new Thermalright HS/fan.

are there any performance differences between AGP and PCI-E?

andyl33t said:
are there any performance differences between AGP and PCI-E?

There is slight performance increase, but right none of the current vid cards can take the full advantage of PCI-E bandwidth. 7800's class should be able to take some advantage and that's why they didn't go with AGP this time around. Next gen of vid cards should be using it to its fullest potential when the multithreaded games start coming out, that's why PCI-E mobo will serve you good as a future upgrade.

What mobo would you recommend? i like the DFI ones because of the colour schemes.

The Asus A8N SLI has served me well, but I think you should go AMD rather than Intel, unless you're using this for movie editing. People who don't even run SLI use it. DFI makes good boards though if you want to go Intel. But you should get a SLI capable board, becuase you always have the option of changing your mind about SLI later, even if now it seems like you won't want it. I remember when I started looking for colleges, for example, I didn't want one in a big city but then I wound up in Boston, you might change your mind later.

I think your 550W should be plenty enough, considering what I'm running and I only have a 500W.

andyl33t said:
is the 939 better than the 754?

Socket939 offers dualchannel while 754 is singlechannel only. It is also more future proof, but will eventually be replaced by socket M2 that has DDR2 memory support.

depends what you are doing, if you are playin games alot or working in apps that arent multithreaded AMD is your choice, if you do alot of video encoding, or you are multitasking alot, running seti or folding than I belive Intel is the way to go.

Come over to the dark side. AMD is generally better for gaming, Intel for vid editing and multimedia and everyday tasks (that you don't really need the processor power for) like running Firefox. I would say that what you get now might not be that important, but if you wait you might as well wait to get something dual cpu. If you're going to buy now, come over to the dark side and get AMD.

im gnna play games some times, but most the time i will be using the internet and msn and workin on ms word.

Bah, I'd say that modern games are 90% controlled by the video card, not cpu. If you got a 6800GT, you probably aren't going to see any difference in games if you get a top of the line game like BF2, HL2, Doom3, etc.

I would also go with the dfi nf4 ultra-d because it can be modded to have sli thats if you chose AMD though

andyl33t said:
im gnna play games some times, but most the time i will be using the internet and msn and workin on ms word.
Either Intel or AMD wouldnt be a bad choice, but apps that you are running lean towards amd.
You can also use Cool & Quiet feature with amd when you are surfing the net.

the 6XX intels have EIST (enhanced intel speedstep technology), which means the processor clocks down whenever it isnt being used.

it was originally in intels mobile chipsets/laptop chips, but now they are bringing it to desktop chips because of the eXtreme heat.

i want to upgrade...meh.

See, but the thing is if you're surfing the web or using the internet I mean the Pentium will be slightly faster, but you know stuff like MS Word and Firefox hardly take any time to load anyways no matter what cpu you're using :p. Where it really makes a difference is something like that that's slow loading, like video editing.

The games of the future are going to be much more cpu intensive than current ones, and AMD better supports the future 64 bit OS and programs.

If you are wanting to upgrade a whole new system, there has never been a better time to wait than now. I would buy some of the components slowly...ones you know that will not become obsolete. AMD's are great in gaming right now, but that is soon about to change. The word is "Yonah"...do a search for it here, and on the Internet. Do much studying on it, and you will see huge performance increases coming. There are some Dothan's right now that are just as strong as the AMD's, but the new Yonah's are going to be the biggest step Intel has made in a long time.

On the apps you are going to use right now, you will never see an increase in performance using either Intel or AMD as none of them take full advanatage of the CPU anyway. You will see an increase in performance with video on an Intel though as many have stated. On gaming it's a wash. On benchmarking AMD's lead the way at present, but as stated that is about to change. The sythetic benchmarks are a measure of full @$$ bore preformance though, and you will not see that in games. I can run PK, Doom3, and many simulators and racing games on my current Intel machine without missing a single beat. These are very dynamic high speed games.

If you are familiar with Intel stick with it. AMD's are very different, and they do have little quirks you have to be aware of to get everything to run smoothly. An Intel will run smooth right out of the box. Me and my freind are all the time comparing our systems and his is an AMD high end gaming system. The only thing drastically different is that my Intel encodes much faster. His is a little faster at benchmarking, but other than that you cannot tell a difference in actual use.

Back