• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quick tec question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wakeboardin_411

i am just getting into tec's and was wondering a few things about it.

i know you need a plate to help spread the heat/cold around but is there a way to focus it like to the certer of the die

i know heat gets pulled from one side to the other and it's surroundings but how do i know how much heat my watercooling loop can take

do you need a copper plate for each side of the tec and do i just go with the thinnest sheet i can get?

Wakeboardin_411 said:
i am just getting into tec's and was wondering a few things about it.

i know you need a plate to help spread the heat/cold around but is there a way to focus it like to the certer of the die

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking here. If you are asking if there is a way to focus the cold exactly onto the die, the answer is no. There is a good thread stickied explaining how they work.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=370139

Wakeboardin_411 said:
i know heat gets pulled from one side to the other and it's surroundings but how do i know how much heat my watercooling loop can take

do you need a copper plate for each side of the tec and do i just go with the thinnest sheet i can get?

If I remember right a good rule of thumb is to take the wattage of the TEC, and the wattage of your CPU, add them up. I think you will have more than that as there are additional heat losses inefficiences in the peltier.

Yes you need copper plates for each side of the TEC, however a waterblock works for the hot side of the TEC. Look at the thread I linked to see how thick they should be.

Back