• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling 7800GTX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diehrd

Senior SMP Gawd
Any one have any suggestions for a real good cooler for the 7800GTX..My XFX cooler is crap..The top plate that should "Cool the Ram Chips" Gets so hot you dont want to touch it..

And the card blows out heat slowly from the rear, but darn if it aint hot as the bee jesus..

So any suggestions ? Water or air coolers..

RedDragonXXX said:
Wait for the new STATIS GPU blocks, they will be something else :thup:

Ya well if they are not set to cool ram like that 6800 U cooler I saw, then I would pas on that..My issue right now is the ram chips..I could set up a 1u Xeon copper heatsink to cool GPU Easily and for free..It just dont allow for ram chip cooling..

diehrd said:
Ya well if they are not set to cool ram like that 6800 U cooler I saw, then I would pas on that..My issue right now is the ram chips..I could set up a 1u Xeon copper heatsink to cool GPU Easily and for free..It just dont allow for ram chip cooling..

I believe that they will cool RAM as well, also you might want to check out new Thermalright HS.

I see nothing at Thermalright for a 7800 series card..

I was looking into the same thing last week:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=402715

There seems to only be a water block available for the 7800. Everyone on air is waiting for something to appear. The BFG OC I bought came with a decent cooler, but they used these thermal pads like I've never seen before... almost like string-tape. Utter junk. I used some of Dino's arctic ceramique and the card runs very well, even overclocking performance increased some. My suggestion is to take it apart and use some non-conductive grease.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=403612

Thanks Pinky..I did swap out the goop for AS5..But the cooler on this XFX is just a light weight piece of crap..And my issues are definatly ram cooling more then GPU..

So i guess Ill have to wait like you and hope someone makes a cooler to compliment this quality card..

RedDragonXXX said:
You could do something like this with the NV Silencer and yes that's on the 7800GTX.

Holy %$#*! :clap:

I'd almost be better off modding something ghetto than have that oversized vacuum in my rig lol

Diehard, I'm still kinda hoping I'll be able to make the LAN. Do you have the Sli bridge? I was thinking we could put my 7800 into your rig and see what it can do! x2 4400+ = awesome! If I can't make it maybe I'll give mine to Dino to bring and you guys can have some fun with it.

Well its not just the xfx cooler that sucks its all the stock coolers. My MSI has the same problem you guys are having. The ram gets insanely hot, i bet if the stuff is cooled it could hit like 1.4ghz. I'm hoping stasis has a plan for the back of the card

Consumer9000 has to be already working on this issue. His coolers are the best there is no doubt.

I doubt very seriously he would not have a 7800 cooler coming shortly, and I also doubt very seriously it would not cool the RAM. His stuff is probably the best engineered there is available. The machining and design is simply artwork.

I know waiting sux, but in this case good things will come to those who wait. :)

Off topic, but I just droped some asC (that came came with my Storm block) on my 6800U RAM sinks and my idle droped by 4C and loads went down by 3C.

WOW :eek: I'm shocked!

crimedog said:
maze4 and big ramsinks

the ram will stay warm but it's happy

The ram chips on the back get so HOT touching the plate that covers them, almost burns you..And even at idle there really warm..I would say 50c if I had to guess.

Need cooling on this card :bang head :bang head :bang head

The way the BFG cooler works is that everything is inter-connected, so if the gpu is hot so are the ram chips... but only because all the metal is connected together, not because the ram chips are actually that hot. I still think sawing old aluminum sinks to fit into those rectangular spots on the bottom plate would help. I might try that sometime soon.

diehrd said:
ok Enough advertising for Consumer9000

nobody was advertising man, just trying to help. I don't get paid and I don't get free stuff from Consumer9000, and for that matter don't even own a Stasis yet. Just letting you know about some good cooling which was supposed to be the topic of this thread. I guess you're not interested. :rolleyes:

Back