• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Virus question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mirage_03

Hey guys, first off sorry for the vague title. Recently my computer started randomly rebooting. This happened with growing rapidity for about a day, then today it reboots constantly, unable to boot up and do ANYTHING before it reboots again. Sometimes it reboots even before it gets to the windows loading screen (or atleast right when it gets to it). is this possibly a virus? idk what else it could be, unless i have a part that's going bad. I did recently buy an x800 pro but i tried booting the comp with a diff card and it had the same problem. Everything else has been in the comp for awhile. I did boot the comp up in safe mode and i could maneuver around for a little while longer (a minute or 2) before it rebooted itself agian. any help much appreciated. thanks!

I'd say that you stressed your PSU with the new video card and it's now providing insufficinet voltage. Chekc your 12V rails with a multimeter; if they're under 12V (should be over a bit, actually), that's your problem for sure.

Make surre your CPU fan is spinning. If your CPU is overheating then that will shut off your PC as well. You could also unplug everything in your case (extra HD, CDrom etc...) so that you have enough power and see if it stays on longer.

i tried shutting off everything but the essentials, plus running the old geforce 2 mx400 and it still messed up. I then experimented with 1 of each of my ram modules, and one of them kept having the same problem by itself, but the other by itself works just fine.. havn't had any probs with the computer with just it. This obviously means its a problem with that ram module. Problem is, i dunno why it started having the problem. any ideas? anything else it could possibly be that i'm overlooking? thanks!

Back