• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Guide for lapping the actuall processor IHS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

treepop

I am looking to lap not only my heatsink but also the heastspreader on my 754 socket processor......thanks for the help.

pwnt by pat said:
It's the same thing.

cool...hehe I went ahead and did it like I have with my old heatsink....a lot less water obviously.....I got it down to the copper core.....I used only 400grit paper....I had to go to my girlfriends house for dinner and will follow up with 600grit.....I doubt it will make a huge difference...but thus far I have gone from 53-54 idle in bios.....to 47-48 idle in bios.......lapped the ihs extensivly while the heatsink not so much....and changed from ceramique to arctic silver 5

I would keep going..

If you are doing the actual IHS (the integrated heat speader on the CPU) then I would keep going with finer grit paper right up to 2000 grit. You may need to go to a good paint store or auto parts place to find it.
I did my 939 pin Winnie because it was cupped-out like a soupbowl. You can have a really well lapped HSF, but if the IHS isn't making good contact you will have heat issues.

Bhugarov said:
If you are doing the actual IHS (the integrated heat speader on the CPU) then I would keep going with finer grit paper right up to 2000 grit. You may need to go to a good paint store or auto parts place to find it.
I did my 939 pin Winnie because it was cupped-out like a soupbowl. You can have a really well lapped HSF, but if the IHS isn't making good contact you will have heat issues.

Well I wanted to see real quick before I went to my Girlfriends house....whether this was the issue.....and it seems to be somewhat the issue...I mean I have already reduced my temps by 6celcius....so thats promising........do you really think there is a difference in temps from 400grit to 2000grit....I mean there will be much more of a shine........but on a melecular level of contact....I dunno if it will be huge.....but it wont hurt to try.....I am gunna do 800grit as soon as I get home.......

*EDIT*

ps your pic under your name reminds me of Donnie Darko...your freeken me out maaaan

yes, there is a pretty good difference. 2000 is 5 times finer than 400 grit, so the bottom will be 5 times more flat. Good for another couple of Cs, probably. They say after 1200 or so is where you start to get diminishing returns, but in this hobby, returns are returns, right? ;)

Now comes that long-time argument.

Smooth does NOT equal flat!

Flat is the desired feature here, not smooth.

Take it to 400 grit, that will be enough. Same with the HS.

steve

skou said:
Now comes that long-time argument.

Smooth does NOT equal flat!

Flat is the desired feature here, not smooth.

Take it to 400 grit, that will be enough. Same with the HS.

steve

while flat is the goal....I think that having a smoother surface may be an added benefit....flat is to acheive the cooling systems potential; while smooth is in an effort to exeed it....I am thinking that if you minimize the peeks and valleys of each peice of metal you will achieve maybe more contact between the IHS and heatsink...I plan on heading to 800grit for sure.....and if the temps are not increased at all then probably stopping.....but if I see an increase I will keep going to finer paper, untill I see no increase.

The problem I am running into is my heatsink.....I am going to start a thread about how the heck you sand a freezer 64...this thing is a beast....the top is wide while the base is small causing a teeter tooter effect.....making it raise in the center....and I think probably worsening my temps in the long run. Any thoughts?

Here is what 2000 grit will do for you..

comp_parts_18.JPG

comp_parts_13.JPG

If you look carefully, in the first picture, the reflection of the bottom of the CPU is not a straight line. (either is the left side reflection.) You have a nice polished rounded surface.

I'd rather have a flat dull surface, than a rounded shiny surface.

steve

BioVader said:
Here is what 2000 grit will do for you..

comp_parts_18.JPG

comp_parts_13.JPG

Why so concave?

My sink:

ReLapped7000Cu%20(2).JPG

not 'flat'? Eat this:

7000Cuflatness.jpg

Either way, 400grit is HORRIBLE to finish lapping with. you need at LEAST 600grit, and that's still way too low for my liking.

hot deum! you guys make me want to do my CPu and heatsink - too bad in about 4 diff stores i have looked in the most they have is 300grit paper! man costa rica sucks sometimes.

Mr.Guvernment said:
hot deum! you guys make me want to do my CPu and heatsink - too bad in about 4 diff stores i have looked in the most they have is 300grit paper! man costa rica sucks sometimes.

No auto body shops/

btw, just ask Dave from easypckits... he's a nice guy, he'll ship some paper to you :thup:

SolidxSnake said:
Why so concave?

It isn't.

Concave is like the business end of a spoon. It will hold water.

Convex, is like a section of a ball. (Or, the backside of a spoon.) It won't hold water.

Anyway, good looking lap job!

steve

Well I was using mulitple lights so I don't know what to tell you... I know the contact surface where the HS contacts the CPU is flat. I don't care if an edge may be a little round. Makes no difference to me. And the temp drop shows it.

skou said:
It isn't.

Concave is like the business end of a spoon. It will hold water.

Convex, is like a section of a ball. (Or, the backside of a spoon.) It won't hold water.

Anyway, good looking lap job!

steve

hehe, my bad, i knew the difference. Concave just rolls off the tongue :D

I see where your logic is coming from (smooth + flat = best), I have the same thing in my head. I mean, once it's flat, wouldn't you want it to be smooth so there are less microscopic valleys and even more contact area?

SolidxSnake said:
No auto body shops/

btw, just ask Dave from easypckits... he's a nice guy, he'll ship some paper to you :thup:

Might just have to, i have hit 3 paitn store - 2 hardware stores and one multi purpose - all "auto" shops i see around me are crap and have nothing in them

it is scary they are still in buisness - the sad thing about costa rica it seems is they dont sell items that go with the main things they sell

You can go to the Sony store - buy a TV - but they dont have stands - or they dont have AV cables - things like that :(

well, if this is going to turn into a thread to show off IHS pics... :D

Sorry about the quality, all I have is the <1MP still camera on my camcorder

Graph paper. NOTE: The paper is not 100% flat becuase it is slightly wet! If it doesn't look completely straight in the pic, its cause the paper itself isnt! but you get the idea.

I love this pic soooooo much :D

both are 2000 grit. Full thread with more IHS and HSF pics is here .

as for smooth vs flat...

_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_ This is "flat" .

--------____________________---------- This is "smooth" (imagine its curved toward the edges) .

____________________________________ This is "smooth and flat".

Which would you have? Depending on the circumstances (grit used, amount of curvature, etc), "smooth" may actually have more contact area than "flat". Don't forget the heat is only comming from the very center of the IHS, so if the edges are curved up slightly its not as big as a deal as if the center isn't smooth.

Back