• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo replacement issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

73h n3wbc4nn0n

Registered
I need to get a new 478 mobo for the hardware I scrapped from my old busted Dell. The processor is an old [email protected] from 2000, I have no idea what core version it is, since I'm an AMD man, and haven't inspected the codes on it just yet.

The computer had 512MB before the mobo broke, the problem is that I found a great Abit board for 56 bucks on newegg, but it only has 2xDIMM, and I had 4 sticks of 128MB. I wasn't really going to do anything with this, except have it as a replacement in case this comp somehow dies, and to fold. Is the extra 256MB worth the 20-25$ to upgrade to another board with a weak processor and the fact I'm not going to be doing much work on it?

Thanks in advance for replies.

just sell it all on ebay. say its a cpu from a dell. and the someone will buy it up because they think they need a replacement part from a dell. lol. if you want to keep and arent doing much work i am sure 256 would be fine. Or again sell them on ebay as being ram from a dell. Take the cash and buy a stick of 512.

All 1.7 P-4 processors are Willamettes. They made them in both socket 423 and 478. Most of the i865/i875 chipset mobos won't support the Willamette. Also those old Willy systems could have used SDRAM, DDR, or RDRAM.

If you insist on buying a mobo for it, double check to make sure it's a socket 478 and DDR RAM, if so, then buy a mobo that has the i845 chipset. You should be able to find a cheap used one without too much problem.

Back